Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback

Playback

Spotify will not play an entire track! The sound cuts out, sometimes after 10 seconds sometimes after 2 minutes but it always cuts out. The song continues playing but then "cannot play current track" appears in a blue bar at the top of the screen. I have re-installed twice, turned hardware acceleration and high quality music off. Bandwidth though not great 8mb is ample. Playback device is set to the PC speakers being used.

From the same account on the sime wifi network it works perfectly well on my mobile device. What is also odd is that the same occurs when watching a video on Youtube or Facebook. 

Please advise. I'm on the brink of throwing the whole lot out of the window! 

8 Replies

hey there @kai47, thanks for your patience,

• first i'd suggest you uninstall the app, restart your device(s) and then re-install.
  • next, you can sign out of all devices here.
  • clear the cache for the app.
  • i would suggest a fresh re-install of flash which you can do here.
  • check your firewall settings to see if spotify is blocked - turning off your antivirus briefly can isolate that issue.
  • try listening on a different device to see if the same problem occurs.

How do I clear the cache?

I have reinstalled Spotify and Chrome several times in an attempt to fix it. Signed out of all devices. Flash is linked to Chrome but I will try the uninstall of Adobe anyway. No firewall is active. 

Other devices work fine and a video streamed on Microsoft Edge. Ping test was fine, a few spikes but nothing serious, internet connection is at 7.9mb currently. 

@kai47 you can access the local cache by starting run (as an administrator), searching %appdata%, you'll then find it at the location C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Local\Spotify. 

@kai47 also, you can perform a clean re-install by disabling flash here before re-installing flash - chrome://plugins/

if you download the installer and install in safe mode, after uninstalling chrome, that's also one way of doing it

if that doesn't work, it's possible some global data is interfering - you can manually remove the flash cache here: http://pch.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/554/~/how-do-i-clear-my-flash-player-cache%3F-(firef...

Alas - cannot find the cache file anywhere......... also I have uninstalled flash player for now. If it was just a Spotify issue i'd be less stressed out. The fact its effecting any audio is so frustrating. Along with the fact that it works on my phone and another PC on the same network.

@kai47 of course!

what windows are you running?

Mine is doing something similar. It was working fine (I haven't used my desktop PC in a little while). Spotify was in the middle of playing a song and then updated. Once updated I played a song and all was fine, then the Audio cut out. I don't know how but it is messing with the audio for the whole PC. I can't get any audio out of the PC at all anymore. The only was I have got audio back is to turn off the "Windows Audio" service and then restart it, but then after a few songs it does the same again. and comes up with "Can't play the current song" and kills the audio again. When spotify app is not in use, system runs fine.

Very buggy software, if this continues I think I will cancel my subscription and look elsewhere.

hey there @Mrdekra,

definitely uninstall the app, restart your device(s) and then re-install. try clearing the cache for the app. Also you can try:

• i would suggest a fresh re-install of flash which you can do here.
  • try listening on a different device to see if the same problem occurs.

Suggested posts