Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playlists greyed out

Playlists greyed out

Hi, I am a UK user running Spotify Premium on a Windows 10 desktop and as of yesterday (18.09.21), every single track in my playlists are greyed out and marked as 'content not available'. I have discovered that if I connect to a North America proxy via a VPN service, everything works perfectly. However, the lists remain greyed out if I connect to a European proxy via a VPN too. I have never had to connect via a VPN in order to access the service historically.

Also worth pointing out that I also have Spotify installed on another Windows 10 desktop, an iPad and an Android smartphone and all work perfectly okay so the problem lies with this one Windows machine only.

The only common denominator that I can identify, is the installation of a recent Windows 10 update, which I have since uninstalled again just in case this was the cause. It wasn't. I have also tried clearing the cache, completely uninstalling and re-installing the software and a raft of other suggestions that I found online but all to no avail.

I would appreciate any input from anyone else who may be experiencing the same issue.

Many thanks.

7 Replies

Hey @tjrutherford,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

Just to confirm, would you mind sharing the links to some of the songs part of this playlist? Trying to confirm everything looks OK with the songs and their availability.

And again to confirm, do you experience the same thing with your playlist on Desktop if you open it after logging in to a different Spotify account?

We'll look out for your reply!

Mario Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I am now unable to login to my account at all to try out your suggestions. My Windows desktop PC is telling me that 'A firewall may be blocking Spotify. Please update your Firewall to allow Spotify'. I have checked the firewall settings and all are perfectly okay.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

***UPDATE***

I have uninstalled Spotify again, run CCleaner and cleaned the registry and re-installed Spotify. I can now log back in to my account but the original problem of all tracks being unavailable still remains.

***Further Update***
Logged in to Spotify with a different user account and the same problem occurs. All playlists greyed out and unplayable.
I am now unable to log back into my own account again (says it is being blocked by Firewall but it isn't) so will now need to uninstall and re-install once again.
This is a very frustrating problem and I would be most appreciative of some advice.

Thank you.

***Correction***
I am able to login in but only if I connect to a North American proxy via a VPN. If I disconnect the VPN, I am told that a Firewall is blocking my use of the software.
Very confused.

Hi there @tjrutherford,

Thank you for keeping us in the loop.

It's very odd what's happening with your connectivity, do you have the chance to try to connect to a different internet network to see if it stabilizes?

Also, please don't forget to send us the URL of the playlist you're having this issue with, this way we can review the content. 

Keep us posted!

MafeGModerator

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Problem cleared itself and has remained okay until today, when it has re-appeared again. All playlists are greyed out and will only re-appear if I connect with a North American VPN. I also have an additional message this time telling me that I need to turn off 'offline mode'. However, having checked it, I can confirm that 'offline mode' is NOT activated.

I have toggled the 'offline mode' switch to and fro but it makes no difference. I have logged out and back in with no effect. I have once again uninstalled and re-installed but no change.

I have also tethered my desktop to my phone for an alternative Internet connection but the same thing happens.

Any advice would be gratefully received as this is now becoming quite an annoyance.

Thank you.

Hey @tjrutherford,

Thanks for the info 🙂

In this case we'd suggest you give the steps mentioned in this article a go to see if that changes anything.

If you're using the app from our website, you can try downloading it from the Microsoft store and vice versa to see if that help.

Let us know how it goes.

Ver Moderator

Suggested posts