Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Podcast plays in reverse order

Podcast plays in reverse order

Plan

Free

Country

Germany

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

There are already a lot of threads about this. But this bug is still not fixed yet. 

Podcasts always play in reverse order. (new to old)

But i want to hear them from old to new.

I can change the display order. I can also filter out the episodes i already heard. But this doesn't change anything. It still plays in reverse order, and also filtered episodes.

I already reinstalled Spotify twice. It didn't help. 

Please fix this.

72 Replies

Hi, I'm having the same issue and have taken the same  steps to resolve it with no success. I've been having trouble with this for a couple of weeks now and it's obnoxious. The only solution I've found is to just use the web browser on my desktop instead of the desktop app or to use my phone app until whatever bug is causing this gets fixed. I hope this work around sort of helps in the interim? Leider, hab ich keine andere Ahnung... 😞

Hi everybody,

Thanks for posting on the Community. 

In this case, could you tell us if this is happening with any podcast show you open, or is it happening with some of them? If possible, send us over the links/URI of these podcasts by following these steps. 

We'll keep an eye on your reply. 

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

It's happening to all Podcasts on the desktop app for me. Switch the order around, it doesn't matter. When you skip forward, it goes backwards. When you skip backwards, it goes forwards. Really frustrating and feels like the "help" is just going around in circles. 

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
OS build 22000.556

A couple of links:

https://open.spotify.com/show/41zWZdWCpVQrKj7ykQnXRc?si=3ce0032456b548cf

https://open.spotify.com/show/5dEsgMhmVy7wK8TSUrVnsQ?si=beb4a9542da74d4b

It's the same for all podcasts.

I'm using Spotify for Windows
1.1.81.604.gccacfc8c

Hi again @jgwhite3 and @griever1988,

Thanks for your replies. 

We've passed this info and reported it to the right teams in order to look into it. 

On another note, we recommend that you keep the app up to date (at the moment we don't have a specific timeline when this will be solved) so you won't miss any out any incoming fix.

Remember the Community is here for you in case anything else comes up.

Cheers! 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This issue started a couple of months ago.  Before, Podcast would play in order just fine.  I noticed my queue, which I rarely bother with, list episodes I've already completed....  the most recent at the top down through listening history.  Thus when the current episode ends the next in the queue starts even though it was played just prior to the last.   It's like Spotify is using the Queue as the Recently Played, or similar

Starting a few weeks ago, podcasts have started playing in reverse on both Windows & Android for me. I'm listening to "And That's Why We Drink..." which I've been listening to for two years now, and for some reason, all of a sudden the podcasts are playing in reverse. So if I'm on Episode 172, the next one that will play in Episode 171, instead of Episode 173.

I have the podcasts sorted by Oldest to Newest, and no matter how I seem to sort it, the problem persists. Shuffle is NOT turned on.

Again, this isn't just on one platform, it's happening to me on both Windows and Android.

Any help with this is much appreciated, because this is driving me insane.

I'd like to second this. I can't listen to story based podcasts on spotify anymore without having to babysit the app. The whole situation is untenable, and I'm considering ending my subscription over it. Finding any information has been a nightmare. Spotify, anyone, please provide a fix!

Same! This is absolutely subscription-ending for me. There are alternatives out there, and I'm really considering them right now. This problem has plagued people for years, and now it'**bleep** me and there's seemingly no solution that I've found that works.

It came out of nowhere too. One day it just started doing it for no rhyme or reason and I can't figure out what the heck is causing it.

This happens to me too. No matter which by what I sort the episodes on the podcast page the all play from newest to oldest, on every podcast, on every device

Same here. It just follows the episode list release order. Can't even manage playlist queue order.

Hey there folks,

Thank you for your replies in this thread.

There's actually an ongoing issue about this here. You can leave a +VOTE and Subscribe to the thread for any updates regarding this.

Let us know if we can help you with anything else in the meantime. Have a great continued weekend!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I'm still having the exact same issue. It's very annoying because it should be a simple sort of the backend. What would be even better would be if a backend developer wrote a simple query for series that (or even playlists but DEFINITELY for series) where it was possible to pick up on the last episode you listened to within a given series if you haven't finished it or the next one if the last episode you listened to is finished. That just makes sense, like what someone would do when listening to a book on tape. You all have our user data, it shouldn't be difficult to query/sort first by the most recent datetime that a given podcast was listened to by the user and then sort again within that particular podcast for the next future dated episode associated with that podcast.

Hey @ghostKat_gillian,

Thanks for the post and your feedback.

You can check this page for more information on how to submit your feedback to Spotify. We are constantly trying to improve the user experience on our platform and we value your detailed feedback.

In the meantime you can also check this thread for the latest updates on the ongoing issue. Be sure to also leave your vote.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

DianModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

"We are constantly trying to improve" sure you are. this has been an issue for a majority of PC users for nearly 6 months now..... y'all made $10.93B last year in revenue. Are you just not paying your devs or what? fix your broken app. 

Same issue here as well. And thank you, @ghostKat_gillian, for the workaround. Guess I'm just gonna use Chrome to listen to my podcasts now (the MAIN listening reason for me). Just like the others, absolutely nothing works to fix this. And since we can't add multiple episodes of podcasts to our queue (another feature that would REALLY be appreciated), it seems the only way to get around the bug is to just use the web version. So now Chrome is going to bog down my computer even more since apparently several months isn't enough time for the devs to fix this. And yes, I'm using the most updated version of the program. I'm on macOS 10.15 and Android 12. Guess I'll just have to follow that thread that was shared and wait for a bug fix. 

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies and feedback in this thread.

We can confirm that this is still being looked into by our team.

In the meantime we recommend that you head over to the ongoing issue that's been provided and Subscribe to it so that you don't miss any updates about this.

Have a great continued weekend!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

The copy and paste answers aren't giving us any answers. You've all said the exact same thing. Multi billion dollar company can't fix a simple issue, bit pathetic. 

Same here, listening to the Age of Napoleon while I stretch, VERY annoying having get up with each new episode, which automatically "forwards" to the PREVIOUS episode so I must manually click to the next (newer) episode. I agree Spotify's responses are boiler plate waste, if there is no solution tell us that!

Suggested posts