Premium (but not for long at this rate)

Country

France

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Windows 10 (version 20H2)

My Question or Issue

I've a problem with local files (again). So a few weeks ago local files couldn't be detected, now I update the app to see if this has been fixed because people were reporting it was working. Now on my version (1.1.48.625.g1c87c7f7-a), local files are completely broken again. The local files tab is not showing at all, and when I try to show them in the options this is what I get: two checkboxes: one to scan for "Downloads", and the other with no label on it:

spotify.png

I uninstalled/reinstalled but it does not work so now I cannot use my local files again.

Since you don't care at all about your users using local files because you seem to make it more and more complicated/broken with every update I'll be switching to Youtube music soon I guess (already trying the free trial period) but I'll post this there anyway in case you have a solution or someone else has the same issue.

If you cannot have a reliable local file scanning that's okay, but then make efforts to have a complete catalog inside all regions. You can't expect people to be happy with the catalog proposed, there always will be some need for local files support... Anyway you clearly showed for the last few weeks that you don't care at all about that so that's one of my final months of subscription after a few years but now I've no more trust in your service.

3 Replies

Hey @caquisse,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We're sorry to hear you're having troubles with the local files and will gladly help you iron them out. Just to confirm, have you tried a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on your device? We recommend the steps in that guide, as they’re very thorough and make sure no damaged leftover files remain. These changes tend to solve issues like the one you're experiencing. Give your device a quick restart as well before you open the newly installed app. 

If that doesn't fix things, could you let us know if the missing label appears after you enable the "Show songs from option" and restart the app? A possible workaround could also be for you to create a new folder with all your local files and add it as a source.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.  

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Yes I reinstalled properly, the thing is the label is missing but I kept seeing my files in my playlists this time. So I supposed Spotify was able to read them after all. It turns out the local files are no more shown in the left column of the Spotify app, but inside the library where you need to click on a tile "local files" now.

I still have the missing label in the options but at least it kinda works. However I don't understand why Spotify keeps messing up with the local files, it breaks often and they keep messing it up while it works so that it's broken again 😕

Hey @caquisse,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We're happy to hear that you found your imported files. The reason for the changed location is that we're constantly running tests in order to provide you with the best music experience possible. We understand how sometimes this can cause some confusion, given that the change might not affect accounts of your friends for example.

We're however always open to new ideas and would be very happy if you post one on our board, detailing the way you'd like the local files to be set up. You can learn how to do this here. You can find more info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange in this Spotify Answer.

Keep us posted! We'll be happy to lend a hand if you need more help. 

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts