Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Profanity filter

Profanity filter

I hope I'm posting in the right area...

I use Spotify for my desktop, and my android as well. Really my question is simple

Is there a way I can turn off the censored versions of the songs? I don't believe in censorship and would rather listen to unedited versions. However whenever I look for a song, a lot of times if I click the album it's the censored version, and then as far as I know to solve it I have to search for the album again, and kind of just guess which album is edited and isn't?

I understand both copies should be available but is there a way I can turn off the edited versions? Or like, is there a way to search for uncensored versions of songs?

Thank you in advance, and sorry if I'm in the wrong area.

7 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Unfortunately there is no way to do this currently in Spotify, they just make tracks available as they get them from the labels and its up to you to find the version you want. 

There are several ideas relating to explicit vs non-explicit content over on the Ideas Exchange, such as this one which you can add your kudos and comments of support to!

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I tried every provider and found that basically all of them had censored the same albums that I wanted explicit versions of. I couldn't even find explicit versions of these albums on iTunes music purchasing. I guess the only way is to buy the cd and a cd reader and then rip lossless.

-tz

Not sure why they can't offer play lists with clean versions of songs.  I love spotify, but nothing like playing some pop hits in the car with the family, when a bunch of fbombs crank out the speakers.  Awesome.

@fallex99

You're not the only one.

Please kudo this idea and post there so they know people want an 'explicit' filter:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Explicit-button/idi-p/3869

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

The forced profanity filter is why I cancelled my spotify subscription. I'm an adult, I can handle some "bad words" and I feel like forced censorship is wrong. Adding a button (enabled by default) in the settings would keep everyone happy because those of us who aren't offended by words can choose to hear songs as the artists who recorded them originally intended.

This button could delegate whether Spotify plays the optional censored track. If a user chose to disable it then all original songs would be played. If a user chose to keep it enabled then spotify would play the profanity-free version if it was available. If a user kept it enabled spotify would also avoid playing explicit songs in playlists and radios unless the user manually found the explicit version.

Until this feature is added I will not be buying another spotify subscription.

You can turn off the profanity filter in pandora, TBH I've never heard a single radio edit song on pandora. I only just started listening to spotify and noticed it right away. Spotify still hasn't done anything to fix the issue and it doesnt seem to be a priority to them. I miss Playlist.com and Grooveshark.com those were the best music listening apps ever..

Suggested posts