Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
the1StudMuffin

"Spotify [customer service reports that they] philosophically opposes explicit content filters because..." Stop the philosophical idealistic **bleep**. It's pompous and ridiculous. People will continue to be driven away from Spotify due to this. They will lose out on millions of dollars of potential profit by not having this feature. Worst reason I've ever heard to not allow an explicit filter. If an artist releases a version of a song with explicit content filtered or removed, they are by-way saying they accept that their own version of said song will still reach their audience how they wish it to. Make it the artists choice to filter or not, but don't punish the customers trying to get some enjoyment in. 

I'll continue to stick with google play, and it seems I forever will. Honestly still saddens me, since Spotify does have the best implementation of music and control that I've ever seen. These foolish notions restrict their potential to dominate the market, and will eventually lead to their demise when the "fresh" atmosphere of their platform wears off. 

the1StudMuffin

hahaha. I find my last post hilarious. They censor my comment when I'm expressing my views (even when the word was literally "c" ending with "rap." Usually a filter safe word), yet they "philisophically" oppose censoring music. Ridiculous.

boomschtick

I also will not be continuing past my trial period due to the lack of this feature.  I've been with Slacker for many years and they have ALWAYS had this.  It's a shame really.

boomschtick

@the1StudMuffin... that is deliciously ironic.  Wow...

888margo888
ironic with an "m" as in moronic 😀
jilln

I can't listen to this in my office at work due to the explicit lyric.  I thought there would be a setting for sure that would allow me to filter these songs out.

Why isn't this a higher priority? From what I've seen searching this topic, people stop using your service for this reason alone. There is no way to prevent explicit songs from playing, even for a specific play session.

Kittelsonburke

Please filter explicit content. And set parental controls. 

STILL NO ANSWER SPOTIFY!!! Just updated to 7.4.0. How is there still no explicit button? Do you not care about our concerns? Lotta people on here. You won't even reply to update. If you're even reading these anymore. 

Jessterr

The forced profanity filter is why I cancelled my spotify subscription. I'm an adult, I can handle some "bad words" and I feel like forced censorship is wrong. Adding a button (enabled by default) in the settings would keep everyone happy because those of us who aren't offended by words can choose to hear songs as the artists who recorded them originally intended.

This button could delegate whether Spotify plays the optional censored track. If a user chose to disable it then all original songs would be played. If a user chose to keep it enabled then spotify would play the profanity-free version if it was available. If a user kept it enabled spotify would also avoid playing explicit songs in playlists and radios unless the user manually found the explicit version.

Until this feature is added I will not be buying another spotify subscription.