Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Re-arranging songs in a playlist

Solved!

Re-arranging songs in a playlist

I've been seraching for a function to be able to re-arrange songs in a playlist. I've read posts which say you should be able to drag each song with the left mouse button but it doesn't work. It's extremely frustrating as I need to create playlists for exercise classes and need to keep changing around the song orders. Please help! I have a Premium membership but it feels like basic functions have not been thought about!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Now I see why 🙂

You're using the web player. To do what I told you, you must use the desktop app. It's not possible to drag songs in a web browser...

BittencourtSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Hey @SuPM, thanks for writing!

You can arrange playlists by title, artist, album, date added and duration.

Also, if the playlist was created by you, you can arrange them simply by dragging songs around. It's not possible if you aren't the author of the playlist though.

Let me know if you have any other questions 🙂

BittencourtSpotify Star

Thanks @Bittencourt - I am trying to re-arrange playlists that I've created but seem unable to drag any songs around...maybe I'm doing something wrong?!

Maybe you've set them to be arranged by title, artist etc. In this case the playlist arragement will be "locked".

Make sure there's no green arrow besides any of these items' names. This will mean the playlist arrangement is "unlocked" and you should be able to arrange them the way you want.

BittencourtSpotify Star

As far as I can tell they aren't "locked" in any way. I've attached a screen shot of what I'm seeing as maybe I am missing something. I only have those 6 options (on the left hand side) for what I can do with the songs in the playlist

Spotify - rearranging songs in playlist.png

Marked as solution

Now I see why 🙂

You're using the web player. To do what I told you, you must use the desktop app. It's not possible to drag songs in a web browser...

BittencourtSpotify Star

thank you so much! You've saved me many hours!!

You're welcome @SuPM  😄

BittencourtSpotify Star

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to apply to me. Android app only lets me edit the playlist name, photo, and description. The songs aren't even listed in the edit screen...😕😕

rearrangement doesnt work for "liked songs" palylist , is this intentional ?

On top right i have "custom order" but songs are ordered by date, and cant move them.

I can change order on playlist i created.

Hi folks,

Thanks for your posts here.

Seems there is some sort of common confusion going around the sorting options. Most efficient way for making a custom sort of your own playlists is doing so via dragging and dropping using the desktop app. On the mobile app, when editing a playlist, there is a dragging functionality for the songs (via a slider on the right side), but the overall visibility and flexibility is limited due to the mobile device's display and OS limitations. You can get more details on sorting and filtering on this page here.

@lunalupis could you send us a screenshot of what you see at your end of the app, so we can take a closer look and then we'll advise you further.

@Filip_machina, currently the Liked Songs playlist doesn't support a custom rearrangement of it's entries like the rest of your own playlists, as this playlist is a bit more special for your profile and the whole algorithm of the app. The 'Custom Order' on the desktop app for the Liked Songs playlist basically duplicates the 'Date added' type of sorting but it always shows the songs form newest to oldest. 

Hope this helps clarify things. Don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else we can help with.

Kiril Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts