Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Recent update removed cut and paste??

Solved!

Recent update removed cut and paste??

A few days ago I opened sportify on my laptop to find a new update had been released. I am not a fan of this update (losing the artist column is annoying, and as a result of that songs now take up more space in the playlist, so you can see less songs on the screen). However the one thing that is most enraging is that I can no longer use control + x to cut and control + v to paste songs. I used this in two main ways: 1) cut a song and paste it somewhere else in the playlist, this made it very easy to make quick adjustments to the order of the playlist, and 2) cut all songs out of the playlist, paste them (they paste as spotify links) in a web tool that randomizes lines, re cut that and paste back in spotify to randomize my playlist order. Why would spotify ever remove this feature?? I'm really hoping it is just a bug with the new update. 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hello Everyone!

That was something with being logged out for a bit yesterday, huh? Anyway today while using Spotify on desktop I noticed that ctrl+x and ctrl+v work properly again! Finally our wait has come to an end, I cannot believe it took just shy of a year for this to get fixed...

Cheers,

Joe

Edit: added pic of what version I'm running

View solution in original post

spotify (2).JPG
28 Replies

Hey there @jnisbet21,

Thank you for your post and feedback here in the Community.

Can you try to click CTRL + C to copy and then enter the playlist you'd like to paste the song in and press CTRL + V?

If that doesn't do the trick, can you let us know which version of the app you have?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I'm noticing the same problem.

Restarted Spotify.
Restarted machine. Nothing changes.

I like the update but you guys NEED to put those functions back ASAP.

I'm on version 1.1.56.595.g2d2da0de-a

Hey there @kwhyte32,

Thank you for your reply in this thread.

We tried this from our end and was able to copy and paste by using CTRIL+C and CTRL + V.

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This will make sure there's no old cache files causing this.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hey Jeremy,

Thanks so much for your reply! I am able to use ctrl + c and paste with ctrl + v into another playlist. However I will mention two things. 1) when pasting in the same playlist I copied from, it does not warn me that it is a duplicate song, and will paste anyway, and, more importantly, 2) that when pasting in any playlist, it ALWAYS pastes at the bottom of the playlist. This is not desirable as I mentioned earlier that one of the most useful aspects of the ctrl + x feature is searching for a song in the playlist, cutting it, and then pasting it to a specific location in the playlist (before this update ctrl + v would paste the song below whatever song you are currently clicked on). 

Lastly, I want to share a bit more information in case it is of any use. When I ctrl + c song X, and then ctrl + x song Y, when I go to paste (ctrl + v) song X is pasted - so it appears ctrl + x doesn't do anything. 

I am currently running version 1.1.56.595.g2d2da0de-a

Thanks again for your reply, I truly appreciate you helping by looking into this! Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. 🙂

- Joe

Hey folks,

Thanks for your posts.

We appreciate your feedback and will make sure that it reaches the right teams. We'd also like to point out that there are two threads in the Community, where you can share your thoughts on how you feel about the new design and share improvement suggestions. Check them out here and here. Our team is always trying to improve the user experience and any thoughts on how to make it better are more than welcome.

Hope this was helpful for you. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I'm having the same problem, I re-installed it and problem is still there. See how trying to access by clicking on the edit menu does not work either: https://recordit.co/vpClDcxPyn

Version: 1.1.56.595.g2d2da0de-a

This version is messy and slow and has ruined the user experience for me.

Hey @pit1288,

Thanks for getting in touch with us 🙂

We always strive to improve our app and we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. 

You can also head here to find more information about the New Desktop Experience. You can also share your feedback in the thread. 

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help. 

Ver Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same problem. I'm running Mac OSX Catalina and Spotify v1.1.57.443.ga029a6c4-a. This problem started when the last major update occurred, I've tried a clean installed since.

Thanks

Neil

Hello, same problem as everyone else here. Dragging songs in long playlists instead of just copy/pasting them is insane. So far I have been using the ui.experience_override="classic" override on the prefs file as a workaround, but I'll be waiting for a proper solution.

This work for me, thank you. That file is located : /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Spotify/prefs in OSX.

I confirm. The hotkey ctrl+z does not work. Also, if there are more than 1000 tracks in the playlist, ctrl+a selects not all tracks, skips half. Please fix it, this is very important for large playlists!

Hi SamuraiPenguinZ, Thanks for this fix! Worked for me as well! 😀

Control c is not the same as control x

We need control x functionality to cut songs from one playlist and move them to a new house playlist   Please put control x functionality back and ensure that it detects for duplicates as it did before.   Thanks!

Completely echo this. I have a huge playlist with thousands of tracks and followers. I add new tracks at the top of the playlist regularly but play with the order to keep the sequencing how I want it. To do this now I have to drag the tracks that I copy in from the very bottom of the playlist which given how big the playlist is a huge pain. Please fix this! Will be using the classic UI override for now.

Spotify has updated itself again, cut and paste still not working and now the ui.experience_override="classic" doesn't work. After you change the prefs file in OSX Spotify creates a new file. If you lock the file, Spotify creates a temporary version. Anyone still having the same problem with copy and paste?

Hey folks, 

Thanks for your messages. 

Would you mind letting us know if you've tried any troubleshooting steps? This will help us give you better suggestions. 

@neillynch, if possible, could you ask a friend or a family member to log in to their personal account using your device to see if they can replicate this?

We'll be on the lookout.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Solve the problem! Check it yourself, the cut does not work! Why do you force people to do all sorts of nonsense?

Hi @Anton188

Thanks for your reply. 

We understand where you're coming from. However, knowing the troubleshooting that you've tried will help us report this issue to the right folks in order to get to the root cause of it. 

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Suggested posts