Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Reduced Animations Setting

Reduced Animations Setting

My Question or Issue

It would be nice to have a reduced animations On/Off setting (some devices have this as an OS setting that the app may be able to default the value to).

The recent 2021 desktop UI update introduced an animated equalizer next to the current playing song in the playlist view, which replaces the number (attached is screenshot), and there seems to be no way that I know of, to turn it off.

I understand from a UI perspective to know what song is currently playing, but for those that are sensitive to light and/or animations outside of their main focus (eg; autism, which is the case for me), I can't do anything besides selecting a different playlist, minimising spotify or having a window overtop hiding the playlist part while showing the bottom status bar.

Before this update, it was fine, as there was no animation like that. Everything else seems to be subtle enough, but with something animating this much, I think a reduced animations setting or something similar might be ideal. Even if it instead shows a non-animated version of that same equalizer image when the setting is on. If further UI updates ever add more animations, this setting may be something worth considering anyway.

I am unsure if this is the case on all platforms or versions of the app, but I'm on Desktop (Windows) on version 1.1.59.712.g54f36e5d-a

spotify-animated-playing.PNG
2 Replies

Hey @Unchosen,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community with this one.

We appreciate your report and have passed it to the right folks at our developer team. User accessibility is a top priority for us, so you can be sure that this will be looked into. 

In the meantime, we'd also recommend that you post your Idea about Reduced Animation Setting on our Exchange. You should also consider adding your support to this similar Idea that another user already posted. We'll inform on any new developments in the Status Updates there, as soon as there are any.

The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea. You can read more about it here.

Hope this was helpful for you. If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Mihail Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This is not a solution, and it is insulting to persons with sensory disorders who are unable to live in a world with these changes. At this point, I believe those of us with sensory disorders deserve better from spotify.

Suggested posts