Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Remove Songs From Library

Remove Songs From Library

I have a very large library and I learned recently that I cannot add new music to my library because I have already reached the 10,000 song limit.  So I would like to remove some existing songs from my library so that I can add new music.  But I can't figure out how to remove exisiting songs.  How do I do this so that I can get back down below the 10,000 song limit?

3 Replies

Hi, thanks for sharing your question and sorry to hear you've run into that limit. To remove liked songs from your library in the desktop software, you can click the "liked songs" option in the "your library" section of the lefthand sidebar. You can remove them one by one by just clicking on the hearts to the left of the track titles, or you can click on one, scroll down, then shift+left click another track to select several, then if you'll just right click somewhere in the selected area, you'll get a context menu with the option to "remove from your liked songs."

The process for removing albums is similar, and you do this from the albums section, although this can only be done one at a time by clicking the heart icons that appear when you hover over an album.

Finally, if you want to remove artists that you follow, those will appear in your artists section, and you can either click on the artist and then click the "following" option at the top of the page to unfollow them, and you'll also see a list of songs from that artist that you can remove in the same way as in the liked songs section.

Just in case you want to edit your library from a mobile device, the process is similar, but can be slower as you can only remove one song at a time (just tap the three dot menus next to the song, and then tap the "liked" button to remove it), so I definitely recommend doing any major library editing on the desktop.

Hope that helps!

dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I can't do this from the albums section, because the only albums that show up there are the few that I have "liked."  But I have over a thousand albums in my library, the vast majority of which do not show up when I click on the albums tab.

Ah yes, that is due to a recent change in how various items are saved to the library. In the past, if you'd saved a song, it would show up in albums as well, but now only albums you have saved in full (with the save album button in the past or the current heart icon) will show up there, so it looks like you'll have to do most of your library clean up from the songs section.

By the way, a good way to whittle down your library while not losing your favorite music would be to go to the albums you want to save and click the heart icon, and then remove the individual tracks except for any you want to keep in your favorite songs list for quick access. The album itself will only count as one item then instead of however many individual tracks are on the album. In other words, you could save an album, mark three songs as favorites, and for the purpose of the 10k limit, it only would count as 4 items in your library.
dinomightSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts