Shutting down Windows without closing Spotify first resets current song

Plan

Premium

Device

Desktop PC

Operating System

Windows 10 x64

My Question or Issue

Whenever I listen to songs and reboot or shutdown my PC without closing Spotify first, the current song is forgotten and reset and I may end up in a completely different playlist when booting and opening Spotify again, which is extremely annoying since I really don't feel like closing all my applications first and THEN only shutting down my machine. Closing Spotify first and then shutting down works, this saves my current song but not without that order.

6 Replies

Hey @s0m3guy,

Welcome to the Community!

This happens when you force close an app or program. When shutting down Windows before closing them, it gives you a warning that recent changes might not be saved. In this case, we recommend closing the Spotify App before shutting down your device 🙂

Have a nice day

No, Windows does not give a warning about Spotify or any other warning when shutting down properly. So I expect that Spotify closes properly as well.

Hey @s0m3guy.

Sorry for the late reply!

In that case, we would recommend just making sure that Spotify is closed before you shutdown or restart your computer. I hope that isn't too much of an inconvenience!

Let us know if you have any other questions. We'll be right here 🙂

I feel this is a pretty lazy reply. I'd like a response from the devs as to why this isn't possible.

Windows has functions to register callbacks for certain events, such as system shutdown, which can be used to save data.

If that's not an option to maintain compatibility across, settings, volume, playback controls, and currect song/playlist could be saved every time they change.

This shouldn't be such a hard problem to solve, but I haven't worked on a project this scale, so I could be wrong.

Hey @sgtlaggy,

Thanks for your reply. 

The way Windows closes programs during shutdown can vary based on many factors. In general though, a shutdown logically prioritizes the turning off of the pc, so this can lead to a force closure of a program with some data being lost as previously mentioned.

Currently Spotify requires that it's closed regularly with time left for the process to end without interruption in order for its current status to be saved.

Introducing the option of the app to save changes every time they're made would increase resource requirements. As for example the app would need to continuously save current track progression while it is playing. This could lead to performance issues on lower-end configurations.

We hope this clears things up. If you do have an improvement idea and think that other users would support it, we suggest posting it in our ideas board so others can vote for its implementation 🙂 

Have a nice day.

I gotta agree with @sgtlaggy, I really don't feel like I should close an application first before shutting down Windows nowadays. I do expect that applications for which the current state is important do this on their own and I don't need to take care of this manually. Especially since I cannot imagine this being that much of a resource overhead, the current state, that is.

Suggested posts