Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify 0.9.8 update doesn't work

Solved!

Spotify 0.9.8 update doesn't work

Hi,

I used Spotify on one computer of me yesterday, and followed 

the notification to restart spotify, to install the new update.

Now I have the newest version (0.9.8.15) of Spotify on this computer.

Now I just wanted to update Spotify on my other computer, too,

but there doesn't appear that notification.

It also doesn't work by downloading the newest Sptify version,

it is always version 0.9.7.16.

I already thought about that the resolution may be a reason.

On the one computer (Spotify working) the resolution is 1650x1050p,

on the other one (Spotify not working) the resolution is 1920x1680p.

Spotify doesn't give any error/crash codes.

Has anyone the same problem, or does anybody know how to fix it?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The 0.9.8 update was rolled out to only a small amount of Spotify users for testing.

The computer with the 0.9.8 update was selected to test the new version.

The current release is 0.9.7, which is why your other computer can't find an update.

There is no way to force the 0.9.8 update on your other computer.

0.9.8 does seem to have some issues though (which is why it's in testing stages), so if you want to go back to 0.9.7 on the computer with 0.9.8 try downloading and installing the latest version of Spotify over the one you have now. (No data will be lost)

https://www.spotify.com/us/download

When 0.9.8 is officially rolled out, everyone will have it. (every computer)

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Found the fix for the problem. If one has set Highperformance processor as the standard in Global Settings in the (for me) Nvidia control panel the problem with spotify not displaying text will occur.

See attached image.

View solution in original post

006.jpg
17 Replies
Marked as solution

The 0.9.8 update was rolled out to only a small amount of Spotify users for testing.

The computer with the 0.9.8 update was selected to test the new version.

The current release is 0.9.7, which is why your other computer can't find an update.

There is no way to force the 0.9.8 update on your other computer.

0.9.8 does seem to have some issues though (which is why it's in testing stages), so if you want to go back to 0.9.7 on the computer with 0.9.8 try downloading and installing the latest version of Spotify over the one you have now. (No data will be lost)

https://www.spotify.com/us/download

When 0.9.8 is officially rolled out, everyone will have it. (every computer)

MattSudaSpotify Star

Thanks for your help.

I will wait until 0.9.8 is released.

*solved*

You're welcome! 😃

MattSudaSpotify Star

please fix the contrast and font size.
-Jay

How can you just roll out a beta version of the app to random users!? I've not signed up to be a beta tester and im paying for a service to work. Is there some hidden text in the agreement of upon using spotify that allows YOU to use ME as a beta tester?

Now since 0.9.8 is SO buggy, i cant even see my playlists or the menu or anything in the options i am FORCED to uninstall and reinstall everytime i want to play spotify, eg after reboots. Since there is no option to turn off the autoupdate forcing in the software.

Normaly when companies do alpha/beta releases, they have a list of willing testers and normaly that alpha/beta would not overwrite the stable version of that software. What you are doing by just rolling out a seriously buggy beta like this is giving it negative feedback from start.

I dont mind being a beta tester i've done that a few times, but when you force it over the avarage user and force it over the stable version so normal ppl that have no clue how to deal with this ends up with a broken package of the software...well thats just not well planed. During my 18 years as a pc user i've never experienced another company to roll out betas like this. Hurray for new out of the box thinking, but this was just a blow in that box.

For beta testing, check the supplied attachments.

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg

Can you check your windows colour depth and see if that makes any difference?

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Almost-all-text-disappeared-from-my-spoti...

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Hi Peter, its already in 32bit true color.

See attachment.

004.jpg

Okay thanks for the details. I will raise this as an issue now (found another report of this earlier today).

Peter

Music plays fine but i cant see any text on there. Im going to try see if i can switch the gfx card to the nvidia one and see if that helps. Even in intels own setup its set to 32bit

005.jpg
Marked as solution

Found the fix for the problem. If one has set Highperformance processor as the standard in Global Settings in the (for me) Nvidia control panel the problem with spotify not displaying text will occur.

See attached image.

006.jpg

Interestingly, I too am using an nVidia/intel hybrid system and Spotify works fine on both nVidia and Intel modes for me (on v0.9.8.195).

Peter

Thats weird, i remember i was tired of the Optimus a while back so i set it to use Nvidia globaly and when you noted the solution before it came to me that it might have been something to do with that.

I've tried to switch back and forth and for me this is 100% the issue, tried to add spotify in the apps as well using the nvidia and everytime i get the same error. Maybe we have different settings for the high-pref proc?

Spotify version: 0.9.8.195ge3aa7492

Nvidia drivers: 332.21 (released 1/7/2014)

007.jpg

Can confirm my settings are identical to yours. What sort of card are you using? (Help > System Information)

nvidia settings.png

Peter

Might be that we are using different versions of the Nvidia driver then...

008.jpg

And your card is much more powerful than mine. 😉
Interestingly mine isn't showing any driver updates either. Not sure what is going on!

Peter

Haha its a powerfull laptop 😃 though i bought it over a year ago 😃

Thats indeed weird, have you checked the nvidia homepage see if there aint any driver updates there?

I would backroll the gfx driver if i wasnt to lazy to do it right now 😃 But then again im not signed up as a beta tester either 😉

Hey guys! 🙂 

Thanks for all of the help and support so far in troubleshooting this issue, I have now raised it as a full bug here on the community - you can read the report and stay up to date on this topic

The bugs topic requests some additional information, if you haven't already included the requested details on this topic, it would be much appreciated if you could add them on the bugs topic. 

To keep all of the discussion in one place (on the bugs topic), I am going to lock this topic for now. 

Once again, thanks for your help and detailed reports so far! 

Peter

Suggested posts