Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Automatically Starting On Windows 10 Boot

Spotify Automatically Starting On Windows 10 Boot

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

The Spotify desktop app keeps opening on startup, despite me specifically setting the option to NOT open on startup. I've already tried uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, rebooting, uninstalling, rebooting, and then installing the Windows Store version instead of the .exe installer version. None of these steps fixed the issue. I even checked the Windows startup menu and Spotify is listed as disabled, yet it still starts automatically. At this point, it has to be on Spotify's end. I would appreciate if you guys could fix this in the next update!

4 Replies

Hey there @Ish-Patel,

thanks for posting in the community !

As this issue can be caused by broken registry leftovers and sometimes could not be fixed by the programs settings, i want us to try a small trick together :

- Open the Spotify app (Probably already running=))

- Delete the Spotify Icon located on your desktop.

Note: shortcuts created before the steps would not work anymore

- Open the task manager feature on you pc

- Switch to the "Processes tab", Right-Click "Spotify.exe" and click "Open file location 

- In the opened folder you should have two icons one for "Spotify" and another for the "SpotifyLauncher".

Right click on the each one of them and add 1 to their names - "Spotify1" \

SpotifyLuncher1"

- Right click the "Spotify1"  and select create shortcut - will let you drag the new created short cut to your desktop.

Hopefuly this will do the trick.

Let me know how you did 😃

This just hides the app from the auto starting shennanigan... What happens after an app update when the app downloads the new binaries? I have to do the same again if I don't want to keep using the old binary?

If you claim it's a registry problem, please tell us which registry entry needs to be fixed not some janky rename workarounds.

Even tried the strongest tool I know for sneaky auto run apps... nothing

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

Okay I figured out an ACTUAL and safe solution! Go to Windows 10 settings, search Sign-in options there's a switch that says Use my sing in info to blah blah reopen my apps after an update or restart, turn that off.

But still this is buggy behaviour from Spotify.......

Suggested posts