Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect Exploit - Spotiamb 0.2.1. - hijacks user accounts to play songs.

Solved!

Spotify Connect Exploit - Spotiamb 0.2.1. - hijacks user accounts to play songs.

Hi all,

Just wanting to draw attention to this. It appears that there is an exploit for Spotify Connect which uses the Spotiamb 0.2.1 extension to hijack user accounts and play a set list of songs. Affected users will see "Spotiamb 0.2.1" appear as an available Spotify Connect device. The result is that their account will, multiple times throughout a day at random intervals, play albums by these two artists, amongst others:

Dungeonsd: https://open.spotify.com/album/66xm00as0QlKB2dOE6fUpH

Tony Oldam: https://open.spotify.com/album/3m0eumQjUDrLyAwJmkFMpi

These tracks will interrupt anything the user is currently playing. 

Other users are experiencing the exact same behaviour

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Windows-Web/Random-unsolicited-song-hijacks-play...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Accounts-and-Subscriptions/Spotify-hacked-by-a-pro/m-p/1178797

Could a member of the Spotify team please comment on this? It is somewhat concerning that there appears to be an unaddressed explit capable of making user accounts play any tracks they wish.

Many thanks.

157 Replies

Snip20170509_2.png

I have no idea what this app is, revoking and will see if this was the cause. 

Another thought... I have Spotify linked to Facebook. I also removed app authroization of several apps on Facebook as well where unauthorized exploits could be coming from. So, if removing app access from Spotify iteself is not resolving your issue and you have your authentication tied into your Facebook, try removing Facebook app authorization as well. So far this morning, no interference from Spotiamb 0.2.1. I am still apalled in Spotify's lack of response but this may be a solution. 

Still no word from Spotify? Remind me why I should stay with you instead of migrating to Apple Music...

Apple music suck tbh, what I did is that I change my password problem solved

1. Revoke all App access
2. Logout all devices
3. Change password
4. Logout all devices

The reason they refuse to do anything further is simple: we either figure it out eventually, or stop subscribing and therefore stop annoying them. Admittedly, the accepted solution IS the solution... but it feels really lazy when Spotify tells us "well, your password just sucks I guess."
While I would think that it's common sense to get your programmers to address this, they know the problem eventually gets fixed and people shut up.
It's just bad customer service! When you've been a subscriber for years, you expect them to value that. I'm admittedly ashamed that I still subscribe and use Spotify constantly after my interaction with support over this.

I have the same issue and nothing helped.

I'm seriously thinking about canceling my subscription after years. This is really not acceptable 😕

Just saw this on my account this morning. Are they really not doing ANYTHING about this??  How many times can you change your password for it to come right back 

I have the same problem. After pressing "Listen on this Iphone" my music changed

20170512_153548000_iOS.png
20170512_153642000_iOS.png

Just happened to me suddenly my music is playing on spotiamb 0.2.1

I'm having the same issue for a while and its the same song thats playing on your device.

I already changed my password several times and this keep happening.

Could this be a bug?

Have the same problem with spotiamb 0.2.1.

Ok I think It's good now:

- I removed all the authorization / apps

- I changed my spotify and facebook account

But Spotify should investigate more about this.

cya

Have changed passwords, uninstalled/reinstalled, disconnected all devices...nothing seems to solve this. I'll ride out this month since I've already paid for it and I'm out. Based on this thread alone, it doesn't seem like Spotify cares...despite what their Twitter support account may lead you to believe.
Screenshot_20170712-193450.png

Did you change your facebook password too?

This **bleep** has been happening to me for months as well and i've tried the steps listed by other users already as i've attempted finding a real solution for this online.

I've been paying for Premium for years and it's ridiculous that this EXPLOIT/HACK is unresolved. My music will randomly pause and then randomly start playing again. My music will be taken over by this random Spotiamp **bleep** at random times. My volume will **bleep** up to max levels on my phone when Spotiamp takes over as well.

What the **bleep**'s going on and what's the fix? If this has been some massive hack to Spotify's databases, then the media needs to jump on this as i'm afraid personal information of Spotify users have been compromised if someone has access to these accounts in this manner. I will be making a phone call to a local newspaper tonight.

I dont have facebook

I've had this same issue going on for months now and is becoming worse and unbearable. Music is paused all the time in then I have strange music playing and my account is connected to spotiamb. I really need help as I have tried all the suggestions and it's not working. I'm paying for the service and some level of customer service would be appreciated. Does Spotify have a customer success team?

This just happened to me as well. Have never seen this before. I changed my Facebook password, logged out all devices and disconnected all apps. So far so good, but what the **bleep**, Spotify? 

Just had this happen to me as well.

I'm not even sure how long it has been going on for.  I haven't used my Spotify account much over the past year, mostly just during commutes to and from work.  I did notice the music would pause sometimes, but I put it down to phone/Bluetooth issues.  Occasionally I would open the app to see weird music being played, but I also blamed that on my phone playing random tracks in my pocket, similar to **bleep** dialing.

Then last night I tried listening to an album while playing a game on my computer, and it just kept pausing all the time.  Tonight was the first time I noticed Spotiamb though, which led me here.  I thought my password was unique, but I changed it anyway and deleted all apps and devices.  So far, it hasn't returned.

I got a hold of Spotify through twitter (@Spotifycares) and they DM'd me this link:

https://support.spotify.com/us/article/someone-has-gained-access-to-my-account/

This seems to have taken care of the problem. I logged in through Facebook, but was able to reset my Spotify password using the password reset form and can now log in via my email address instead of Facebook. Been over a week now, hope it sticks!

Suggested posts