Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Connect & Google Home

Solved!

Spotify Connect & Google Home

Hi,

I am using Spotify on two Windows 10 machines which are running on the same wifi network as my Google Home device. But the Google Home device does not show up on Spotify Connect on Windows. How can I add it? Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @Bilxthebroker.

Thanks for getting back to us. We'll be happy to explain.

It seems that Spotify + Google Home functions in the same way that Spotify + Chromecast does. In other words, as it says in this support article, Chromecast devices let you play Spotify from your phone, tablet, or web browser (Chrome only) to a TV, speaker, or stereo, which implies that you cannot do so from the desktop app. This means that this is expected behaviour rather than an issue.

There is a workaround for this: you can activate it on your desktop it either through the web player or your phone, and then the Google Home device will show up in the Connect tab in the app.

Although there is already an idea in the Community for the ability to control Chromecast from the desktop app to be implemented (here), I haven't been able to find a similar idea for Google Home devices. You're free to create one for yourself here. The more popular the idea is among users on the Community, the more likely it is to get implemented in the near future.

Hope that's clear! Let us know if you have any other questions regarding this, we'll be happy to answer them 🙂

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Hey there @Bilxthebroker,

Thanks for reaching out to the community!

Added the Google Home help guide here for further info.

Let me know if you need more help 😃

Thanks for your help. I ended up in an hour long chat with Google Home support and they were unable to resolve the problem. It turns out that I can cast Spotify to my Google Home from my iPhone, and whilst I'm doing that the device shows up on my list of available devices on Spotify on both of my PC's. But as soon as I stop on my iPhone, it disappears from the PC's. Both are running Windows 10.

Any ideas. anyone? Spotify?

Hey @Bilxthebroker.

Just in case you're still having trouble with this, I found a thread which might prove useful (here). Could you try the steps suggested by @Jemi and see if that helps?

Let us know how you get on - we'll be here if you still need some help with this.

Hi Peter, thanks for jumping in.

Unfortunately none of that works - all versions on the app are up to date on all of my devices, all of which I have tried restarting. I'm at a complete loss!

Hey @Bilxthebroker.

Thanks for getting back to us and trying out those steps.

Just to make sure, is your desktop connected to the Internet via an ethernet cable, or is it connected to a WiFi network? If it's the former, could you try connecting it to the same WiFi network as your Google Home and see if that has any effect?

We'll be looking out for your reply 🙂

Thanks Peter. All devices are running off the same wi fi network.

Hey @Bilxthebroker,

Thanks for letting me know 🙂

A couple more things:

• could you try the solution provided in this thread and see if it works for you?
  • if not, then could you make sure you are logged into the same account on desktop as the one you have linked to your Google Home app?

Keep us posted!

Thanks, but the link doesn't work.

I have lokoed at my router's IP webpage and can find nothing wrong. I've given up now, life's too short. I'll stream to my other music system from iTunes instead. Thanks anyway, everyone.

Marked as solution

Hey @Bilxthebroker.

Thanks for getting back to us. We'll be happy to explain.

It seems that Spotify + Google Home functions in the same way that Spotify + Chromecast does. In other words, as it says in this support article, Chromecast devices let you play Spotify from your phone, tablet, or web browser (Chrome only) to a TV, speaker, or stereo, which implies that you cannot do so from the desktop app. This means that this is expected behaviour rather than an issue.

There is a workaround for this: you can activate it on your desktop it either through the web player or your phone, and then the Google Home device will show up in the Connect tab in the app.

Although there is already an idea in the Community for the ability to control Chromecast from the desktop app to be implemented (here), I haven't been able to find a similar idea for Google Home devices. You're free to create one for yourself here. The more popular the idea is among users on the Community, the more likely it is to get implemented in the near future.

Hope that's clear! Let us know if you have any other questions regarding this, we'll be happy to answer them 🙂

Suggested posts