Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Keeps Writing Cache to C:\ drive, even though Changed in properties to F:\

Spotify Keeps Writing Cache to C:\ drive, even though Changed in properties to F:\

Not sure if this is per design, but I had changed the offline Songs cache folder in Advanced settings to F:\ , but my C:\ drive is still being filled up with the same .File **bleep** -

These are the 2 offending folders -

C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Packages\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_zpdnekdrzrea0\LocalCache\Spotify

Data and Browser

I can create a clean up batch script, or manually redirect the folder to other drive, but why the heck is this not an option ?

Pleas let me know if i am missing something?

Windows 10 btw.

12 Replies

Any one looking at these forums?

I had confirmed by Re-installing the stand alone (non-windows 10) version of spoity , and even though I set offline songs storage to F: drive , Data is being written to C: drive still.  C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Spotify\Data

This is big f-ing issue.  

Can we can a confirmation if this is bug or designed this way?

I have the same issue. I only have so much space on my primary drive (SSD) and want to store the cache elsewhere (external drive). However, no matter how much I try to set this in the options menu, it tells me to "restart Spotify for the changes to take effect" and then promptly reverts to the old C: drive location when I do. This is a absolutely in need of a fix.

I have the same problem, too! Two caches on two different disks

( ! ) Update at the end of post

Hi D3ft0ne,

There is a workaround using symbolic links, some type of "shortcuts" pointing to different locations on the file system.

Follow these steps:
1. Close Spotify.
2. Delete the folder "C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Spotify\Data" (or move it to a different location for now).
3. Create a new folder on your desired location (let's say F:\Spotify\Data)
4. Run Command Prompt as Administrator (or you won't have enough privileges)
5. Type and run the following line:
mklink /D "C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Spotify\Data" "F:\Spotify\Data"
You should get:
symbolic link created for C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Spotify\Data <<===>> F:\Spotify\Data

This is the step that actually links both locations. This happens at a file system level, so Spotify won't notice the change.

6. Open Spotify and start playing anything.
Now you should see those two-name folders populating your new Data folder in F:\Spotify\Data.

On the original Spotify folder, you will see the Data folder with a shortcut icon. Go to folder properties and the Shortcut tab will show the actual location.

Cheers!

........................................................................................

( ! ) Update

Due to some Spotify update, the location described in step 2 was changed:

"C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Spotify\Data" was moved to

"C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Packages\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_<random_code>\LocalCache\Spotify\Data"

Change this location in steps 2 and 5 and you should be fine.

This worked for me. Thank you!

Wow, im completely surpriced that worked. Thanks a lot, you helped me save up to 30gb of my small C Drive (SSD)

I have the same issue but it's for Spotify mobile.

The set the storage to my SD card and every bleeping time I reboot my phone, Spotify re-downloads my entire library ffs.

The most annoying part is that the former files are not deleted but when it re-downloads, it takes more space.

Hey there @lator,

Thank you for posting this issue in the Community!

There are some things we could try here.
Firstly, please check your SD card for errors and make sure it has not been formatted as internal storage and then try the following:

1. Delete the cache and all data in the app on your phone
  2. Uninstall Spotify
  3. Reach out to our support and let them know you'd like to remove your "offline devices"
    (They'll know what to do and the whole thing should only take a minute)
  4. Install Spotify and log back in

Let us know how it goes!
We're here for you, should any questions arise 🙂

Cheers!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I don't think my SD Card has any issue and I use a Vivo phone with Android 11 and you can't use it as internal storage unless you set it in the app (and not all apps have that luxury)
I uninstalled and re-installed Spotify the day I sent that issue and this morning my entire library re-downloaded again. My SD card is okay btw. I just allowed it to download in the internal storage. I don't think any solutions proffered work.
I'll just keep using my Internal storage. It's just sad that Spotify is a giant streaming platform but the way the app works is just rubbish.

Hey @lator,

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry to hear this is still happening.

We recommend following each of the steps from Elena's post, including the one about reaching out to the Customer Support team to remove your "Offline Device". This can often cause such issues.

If that still doesn't help, you can try the workaround suggested by the user Tink3rb3ll here.

Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Wow seems like Spotify finally has people looking at the forums.

I find it amusing how you helped with the random guy having issues on the mobile app but completely ignore the primary reason why this thread was opened in the first place.

It's 2022 and my system SSD still get's dumped full with the cache. Instead of making us use the workaround that's mentioned above, how about you fix the issue? I don't know what kind of limitations Microsoft enforces on application developers nowadays but i'm disgusted by the fact that every application nowadays needs to dump their non-static files into %AppData%. I suspect this is mostly being done to avoid issues with read/write permissions on the system as well as staying cross-platform compatible with Xbox and (if they still exist) Windows Phones as well as standalone and versions installable through the Microsoft Store.

But if this **bleep** is out of your hands, don't give us the illusion of having a choice where the app will store things.

For years, Spotify allowed the user to specify where to put the cache. Spotify removed the functionality for some unknown reason. Perhaps Spotify Product Management stepped in and commanded that the user/customer needs to be treated more like trash.

Suggested posts