Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Sound Won't Transfer Through HDMI Cable

Solved!

Spotify Sound Won't Transfer Through HDMI Cable

So I'm connecting my laptop to my TV, and I cannot get the sound from Spotify to play through the TV and just comes out of my laptop speakers as though the HDMI cable isn't plugged in at all. Youtube, DVD's, everything else plays the sound through the TV, but for some reason Spotify is refusing. I'm running Windows 7 on my laptop, and I went under the playback option of the Sound section on the Personalization section of the Control Panel and set the TV as the default device for sound, but that didn't do anything.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Could you try exiting then restarting Spotify after you change the output device. It doesn't seem to cope with such a change while it is running.

View solution in original post

14 Replies

Hi @Skhplbliss . If you right click on the speaker icon in your taskbar then "playback devices" can you select the hdmi audio output there? I'm popping this thread into the desktop section by the way.

Yup that was my first move. Doesn't have any effect on the sound output.

Marked as solution

Could you try exiting then restarting Spotify after you change the output device. It doesn't seem to cope with such a change while it is running.

By Jove, you've done it!

Hehe. It's a real pain that spotify doesn't adapt to changes in sound output options on the fly. Maybe it's something they'll fix in the future. Enjoy your music 🙂

@jwylot wrote:

Hehe. It's a real pain that spotify doesn't adapt to changes in sound output options on the fly. Maybe it's something they'll fix in the future. Enjoy your music 🙂

SpotiAmp does.  😉

You can also change devices with Equalify, but it requires you to restart the software.

My problem is that it starts out playing through the HDMI cable but then drops after several minutes. My TV then says there is no HDMI connection as if I unplugged my computer from the TV. When I do unplug my computer Spotify resumes playing on my laptop. Thoughts?? You seemed to help everyone else, thought maybe you would understand this situation.

Thanks!

Hello,

I have a similar problem. My system is composed with a PC, an audio/video amplifier (Pioneer) and a TV set (Philips).

The PC is linked to the amplifier by a HDMI link. It's working with Youtube and Netflix for an example : both image and sound.

I have checked the output device is my audio/video amplifier (Pioneer).

But with Spotify, I get an error message saying : "This song is unavailable..."    whatever the song.

Have you an idea ?

Thank you.

I have exactly same problem for half year and no solution. Did you find out the problem? Nice to pay premium and not able to listen on pc.

I used to be able to play music on spotify using the HDMI output from my laptop to my TV.  It worked just fine for months and all the off the sudden I was unable to get sound via the HDMI on the TV, I get the message, "this song is not available.  If you have the file on your computer you can import it.  Sound for all other applications work via the HDMI and if I disconnect the HDMI, the songs play just fine via the  laptop speakers.  Anyone else experiencing the same issue or have any ideas?

I ended up installing the Spotify app on the TV and playing it directly from the TV. good luck.

Another potential solution - Make sure that Spotify default output is through the device that you want to play it on. Win 10 has a feature which allows you to select specific outputs for each app; so although you might have changed the default playback device for the system to the output that you want, it does not matter unless the program's own specific output is set on "default" . If not, it will still continue to play on whatever output setting the program is set under. 

Long Story Short - win10 has a default playback setting for the system and also a default playback system for the applications. i.e - If default playback is set to monitors but spotify's default playback set to speakers then it will continue to play through speakers no matter what playback you choose to default. 

The setting can be found through System>Sound>App Volume and Device Preferences

Hope this helps someone. Had the same issue and everyone had different answers, I found that nobody mentioned this solution. Good luck! 

Go to Windows settings > System > Sound > Advanced Sound Settings > App Volume and device preferences.

Choose "Default". This will automatically choose sound output for you and it is recommended.

NB:  Spotify needs to be open or running to be able to show in advanced app options select sound output.

Video illustration: https://youtu.be/Sb9IKA6CwWIScreenshot (35).png

Windows 11 solution:
System > Sound > Volume Mixer > Reset sound devices and volumes for all apps to the recommended defaults

Suggested posts