Premium

Country

USA

Device

Windows Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10 1909 Build 18363.535

My Question or Issue

Spotify auto updated yesterday and now it will not run.  It attempts to start up then closes down.  I uninstalled today and reinstalled v1.1.22.633.g1bab253a from the website and it does the same thing.  I have spoken with several other people who hare having the same issue.

115 Replies

Looks like the full installer is still the previous version.  I'll keep checking and once the full installer is updated I'll give it a go.

@pcc 

The full installer is very often a version or two behind.

The online installer is usually going to grab the latest version at once. You should be able to see what version the installer contains before you run it:

version.png

The updates roll out gradually to all users, so if you don't see it yet, you should wait.

I'll be around 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

It just pulled the update (spotify_installer-1.1.24.91.g4ca6d5eb-20.exe).  Fingers crossed!

Nope.  Without a lot of exploring it appears to have the same issue.  Except now I don't even see the blank black window at all.

Went back to v1.0.85.259 again and everything works normally.

Same for me, v1.1.24.91.g4ca6d5eb has the same crash on launch issue and I have reverted to the web player for the time being

Just installed 1.1.24.91g4ca6d5eb and it has the same problem.

I tried the new update and it still crashes. Please see below screenshot.

The app shows not responding and the RAM usage maxes out.

Kalvin22_0-1579173262969.png

Below to show the new version has been installed.

Kalvin22_1-1579173441313.png

I'm having this problem too. Try to open Spotify, even after several attempts at reinstalling it, and it just crashes every time. Have used both the offline installer and the one straight from the Spotify Website.

Thanks to this thread, I have stopped trying to troubleshoot further on my system (work laptop, Windows 10) as the latest versions even going back to 1.1.22.633 had the same RAM build-up problem.

I have reverted to the full installer for version 1.0.85.259

<snip - Moderator Edit> and that works fine for me. 

Thank you! Been struggling for weeks to find a full installer without this issue!

I just wanted to say I've had the same issue, it's extremely frustrating.

I've tried all the 'solutions' I could find in this community; a clean install, driver updates, windows store version vs website version, running it without hardware acceleration, and the windows system file checker. Nothing works. 
I thought I should mention that it didn't crash when I wasn't connected to the internet, but of course I can't log in then.
I've gone back to v1.0.85.259, and that works alright. Thank you @pcc. 

Hopefully Spotify can fix this issue, as many others seem to be struggling with it, and it would be a shame to be paying for premium if you can't fully make use of it. 

Same issue.

Started a couple of weeks ago. Desktop or Microsoft Store version.

I've tried adding the  --disable-accelerated-layers --disable-accelerated-fixed-root-background parameters to the shortcut thinking its a hardware acc. issue but no go.

Cleared appdata folders etc still no luck.

All drivers and windows updates are up to date.

I installed a previous version and it launched correctly. 

Hey @kmankashani @Janou and @Reps11 

Thank you for letting me know what troubleshooting steps you've taken! Very much appreciated. 🙂

I'd like to ask if you also see this issue happen in a work network, or does it happen when you try using any other networks too (home connection, a wifi, mobile hotspot)?

Also, when you turn off internet and try opening Spotify, what will it do?

I'll let you know when I get updates on this 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

It still seems to work fine on my home computer (running Windows 10 Home with all updates).  It seems it may be related to Windows 10 Pro and/or Windows 10 Enterprise.  That said I have some co-workers who said it stopped working on their home computers.  But I don't know what version of Windows they are running.

I have to say, as a premium paying customer this is really annoying.  It should not take a month and a half to fix something like this.  At the very least they should roll it back to the version right before it broke so that the paying customers have a working desktop client.  I've stopped paying for my subscription before because of **bleep** like this and I'm very close to doing so again.

Agreed. 

Hey @Spotify, any intention on fixing this in a timely manner? It's been over 3 weeks now, and it's getting quite frustrating as running an old version is challenging given your software auto-updates and the Web Player isn't as full featured as the software version. 

Seriously clutching at straws with these "fixes" you keep suggesting.  Take some of our money that we pay monthly and hire some actual coders who can make a functional program.

Seeing as it has been a month now and we have a new version 1.1.24.91 which is still broken, how about doing the courteous thing and refund us premium users a months' subscription...or give it to us free until you fix this mess.

It's quite obvious now why there is no direct way to contact customer support and we are supposed to help each other fix your mess!  The time I've wasted trying to fix this, I could have easily migrated my playlists to a competitor.  Something which I'm quite inclined to do now.

You're on borrowed time Spotify, sort it out.

As you can see from my original post this started for me on DECEMBER 12TH, 2019.  That is 6-1/2 weeks ago.  FIX THIS OR THIS IS MY LAST MONTH AS A SUBSCRIBER.

I'm already trialing TIDAL and they have two different ways to migrate your play lists, which makes it really easy to jump ship.

Yep, still the same issue here too.

Am now on a trial with Apple Music and will probably switch when the free trial ends.

Shameful how Spotify treats their paying customers....

And why has this issue not been raised under "Ongoing Issues"?
It has been ongoing for more than a month now.

Hi, I missed the earlier suggestion by the "Rock star" Sebasty.

I have just tried opening the desktop program with all internet connections disconnected and it looks like it is stable. It launches properly and i can click on buttons.
As soon as I connect the laptop to the internet, the program crashes.

I am using this on a work laptop and on a work network. The issue happens on the office wifi and ethernet connection. I will try launching the program while connected to my home network later to see what it does.

You could be on to something here.

Suggested posts