Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify attempts to open then just shuts down

Solved!

Spotify attempts to open then just shuts down

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

Windows Desktop

Operating System

Windows 10 1909 Build 18363.535

My Question or Issue

Spotify auto updated yesterday and now it will not run.  It attempts to start up then closes down.  I uninstalled today and reinstalled v1.1.22.633.g1bab253a from the website and it does the same thing.  I have spoken with several other people who hare having the same issue.

115 Replies

@cpr2207 I wouldn't get your hopes up, my colleague has already tried that and it didn't work on his home internet connection either...

Just going to throw this out there.  You can use this for free to transfer all of your favorite artists, favorite songs, and playlists to pretty much some other music services.  I'm also checking out Deezer right now.

<snip - Moderator Edit>

Thanks @PCC
That's a neat service, just a shame it doesn't offer all of the "sources" as "output to" options.  I'm currently building my large library manually in Amazon Music as I've had a Prime subscription so I'm actually going to save myself £2 a month...hey, every little helps 😊

Shame that my Spotify "friendship" is ending after almost 5 years but onwards and upwards.

Update:  Cancelled Premium and explained exactly why I was leaving.  Good job as payment was due to come out on 2nd Feb.

It includes most services for transferring to or from. I thought Amazon was
on that list.

Not as a destination source sadly. I would have gone to another provider like Tidal, however saving £2 a month is more beneficial for me at least.

Situation update for my transition to another service.  Downloaded Amazon Music desktop app, signed in and it launched straight away, no maxing system resources, no crashing - so that further confirms that the Spotify desktop app is currently trash.

To add I'm on a work laptop on the work's network, connecting between WiFi or ethernet cable depending upon location.  All works like Spotify used to.

Sorry, I thought that Amazon was a valid destination but apparently it isn't.  Not shure why they can pull from but not push to Amazon.  Will the Amazon music service allow you to import a TXT or CSV file?  Because you can export to either of those formats.

Looks like Spotify has pushed another new version, v1.1.25.559.g85cf5e4c-7.  It works just as wonderfully as the two broken versions before it.  If I disable my NIC it will open offline, but as soon as I enable the NIC and it goes online it crashes, just like the previous versions.

Oh dear that's really not good. I'm thoroughly enjoying listening to music again at work, via a desktop app (clue: not Spotify) 😛

Oh no worries. I’m listening to Tidal just fine. ;o)

If I turn off my wifi and open, Spotify opens normally.

As soon as I reconnect, RAM shoots up and crashes.

2020-01-30 14_46_56-.png

Yeah it's been like that since mid December.  Three updates later and it's still broken.  No response from Spotify and it's not listed in their "Ongoing issues" section so that would seem to indicate that they don't care.  Sorry fella

Hey @kmankashani 

Could you try opening Spotify while keeping wifi turned off, and disable Local Files?

You can disable them under menu dots - Edit - Preferences.

Then, when you have disabled these, try turning wifi on.

Let me know what happens 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

This doesn't work for me because I have tried to reinstall Spotify (about 200 times by now...).
This means that I am no longer signed in.
I need to be online to sign in.
If I go online it crashes.

Really not okay that this is taking so long to sort out....

UPDATE:

Just opened Spotify and it seemed to work. Was able to navigate the program and all was well.

But then I played a song and it crashed immediately.

Now when I start the program it crashes immediately as before.

It did an update, currently on: 1.1.25.559.g85cf5e4c

@Cpr2207 

Thank you for reporting back, I appreciate it! 🙂

Do you use any vpn or proxy too? I've read that some users have no issues when the same computer is under a different network.

Also, I am curious how Spotify acts when you go to safe mode with networking.

Use msconfig to enable safe mode (with networking) under the Boot tab:
pilt.png

..and when you're done testing, go back to msconfig and remove that tick from "Safe Boot" box.

Let me know how it goes 🙂

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi Sebasty,

Looks like that may be the issue.

I did the Safe Boot, still had issues whilst connected to the company network.

I then rebooted the computer normally, connected it to my phone's hotspot and Spotify was running fine.

As soon as I plugged the ethernet cable back in, Spotify crashed.

So it seems that there is a "disagreement" between Spotify and the office network but how come I am the only one who is having this issue?

Thanks for you help!

@Cpr2207

You are not the only one having the issue....almost everyone in a corporate environment is having this issue.  What they should do is go back to that last version that worked for everyone while they try to figure out what the issue is instead of dragging this out and everyone being without a working desktop player.  But what do I know...I'm just an annoyed paying customer...who is going to cancel his subscription if they don't have this fixed before my next billing date.

Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock

@pcc I didn't have a choice but to jump ship as my next payment was due on 2nd Feb, so I had to jump.

FWIW On my company network, even if I connected via WiFi through my phone's hotspot (4G) it still crashed.  Hence why I've moved to Tidal and desktop app works fine even on a corporate network (if that's the excuse Spotify are going to hide behind)

Yeah, I actually meant to cancel last month but wasn't paying close enough attention and I missed the billing date and it renewed.

Suggested posts