Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify automatically switch playback to phone sometimes

Solved!

Spotify automatically switch playback to phone sometimes

Hi,

I face rather odd issue, and its happening since today, maybe it's some last update.

Basically, without any relation to what I play on spotify, it seems to sometimes, after for example 10 minutes, or a hour, randomly, switch to phone and really play the music though the phone instead. 

What can I do to at least prevent it from happening? 

The phone is Google Nexus 5X on Android 7.1.1, on Wi-Fi, and PC is Windows 10 Pro.

Cheers!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

This issue was fixed ~ a month after my previous reply. Thanks but I doubt that anybody from Spotify even reads the messages here.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Same issue here, I think the bug is in the phone app because when i try to switch it back from my phone to my laptop it keeps asking me if i want to play it on my laptop. Using a workaround by logging out of all my devices and only use my laptop now.

HI,

I am facing a similar issue. The spotify client running on my laptop switches to my phone and starts playing on my phone without my consent. Is that a bug with their latest update?

Same problem here, pc still thinks its playing through pc at that point, any solutions except for logging out?

This issue has been affecting me for about a week. It's getting pretty frustrating, as the desktop client tends to become unresponsive on the backend (so I can't even use it to change the song). It seems to happen more frequently when both devices are on wifi (or possibly, exclusively).

Windows Client: 1.0.52.725.g943b26a8

Spotify Android: 8.3.0.681armV7

For me this bug stopped occuring

I can confirm this with the latest Spotify software in my Google Pixel and OSX installed. Happens now for about a week or so.

Spotify Mobile: 8.4.0.439 armV7 

Desktop: 1.0.53.758.gde3fc4b2

Same here.

Listening on Windows 10 Desktop app -

All of a sudden the music starts playing through the speakers of my S7.

having the exact same issue, seems to be more for Android though. I've noticed the spotify widget will come up even though it's not active on my phone or even open and then my spotify will cut from my mac/pc and start blasting from my phone.

Really great when you're working in a quiet af office.

seen posts about this for weeks but so far no fix.

Marked as solution

This issue was fixed ~ a month after my previous reply. Thanks but I doubt that anybody from Spotify even reads the messages here.

Having this issue in May 2022..

Hey @limesfar,

Thanks for posting in the Community.

We'd need some more details on the issue you're facing, so we can find the best possible solution. Could you describe it in more detail?

Also tell us the brands/models and operating systems of the affected devices, which you're using with Spotify Connect.

Keep us posted,

Cheers!

DianModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hi Dian, thanks for the reply.

I use Spotify on my Pixel 4 XL using Android 12, and on my desktop PC running Windows 10. I switch back and forth between the two during the day while listening to Spotify

The past week or so I have been having this issue where I am listening to Spotify on my phone, and then sit down at my computer and switch to listening on my computer. Then, at random times, such as like, after 20 minutes, the music will cut out on my computer and Spotify will say it's playing on my phone. I switch it back to my computer, and it will do it again at random, or just work for the rest of the day.  When this happens I'm not using my phone, it's just closed sitting on my desk. I've tried closing the Spotify app on my phone but it will still happen. It's very annoying. 

Let me know if you need more info. Thanks

Andrew

Hi @limesfar!

What you can try is preventing Spotify from autostarting on your phone. This is usually found under Battery in your phone's settings, but this may vary depending on the manufacturer. Try searching Autostart in your phone's settings and make sure Spotify is excluded, so that it won't run in the background after you close the app.

Cheers!

YordanModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts