Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify constantly buffering/lagging

Spotify constantly buffering/lagging

i use the free version of spotify at work every day on windows 7 and have been using it for a good 6 months now. loved every minute of it until the last week!

the songs are taking forever to load now instead of instantly playing like they used to and even worse they are constantly stopping. i haven't had a song play all the way through for over a week now. it appears that the songs are buffering or similar however nothing on my end has changed lately. same computer, same internet speed (6mb/s from speedtest.net, not amazing but has been sufficient for a long time and can stream videos from youtube perfectly fine), no other new programs or settings.

so far i have been looking on the net for solutions and have so far, based on info i have found, i have tried turning hardware acceleration on/off, disabling my trend micro, doing a complete clean re-installation of spotify (including restarting the computer in between re-installation) and changing our dns server to 8.8.4.8 etc.  Nothing seems to have worked so far so does anybody have any other solutions they have tried and worked or is this not a problem on my end and the servers or something are being over taxed?? help please, this constant pausing/buffering is driving me nuts!!

83 Replies

Perfect for me too, as it was last night and has been all day.

No issues with Spotify or Sonos streaming.

Brisbane-based iInet user.

Fair to say that any issues have now been resolved by iiNet as per this thread on Whirpool:http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=2028035 (Page 6)

Same thing here for a few days...song will start and play for second then stop, then play for a minute then stop... Sometimes won't start a song for 15 seconds. It will be that way for a few hours and then go away and then come back.

I have a premium account. Doesn't make a difference if I put the stream quality down.

Internet connection is 10mbps. Everything else besides Spotify works fine.

ISP is Brighthouse, in Southern California.

This is frustrating... It seems like there is some sort of spottyness but does not seem to be on my end. I keep thinking I will see Spotify say there is some server problem but nothing...

http://www.pingtest.net/result/75092863.png

Another iiNet user from the Gold Coast and Spotify seems to be working perfectly for me at the moment. However, it has done that before so I'll give it a couple of days.

Same issue here, it's been doing this since mid december. It's really starting to annoy me. I noticed that songs with high rating lags more than others, which makes no sense at all since these should be better seeded than others and/or cached locally.

I really hope spotify can get an end to these issues asap.

I have also gotten a lot of "browsing failed" lately when browsing artists and albums. Not sure if this is related but it seems like spotify is overloaded...

Same problem with premium account since few weeks ago...I get frustrated, always lagging...always buffering. I´m not willing to pay any premium if this is what Spotify offers. Only way not to have problems is playing Offline Mode. Why don´t we get an official answer for that? I´ll wait till end of January if I don´t get a solution I go to Free option or back to my mp3 files.

Still working well for me

Have not had the problem this week. I have Spotify running all day at work. Maybe fixed? Wish Spotify would acknowledge a problem and report on it. I can be forgiving of a server issue now and then but it is frustrating when we are not sure where the problem is and if it is permanent...

I have the issues permanently this week.

Everytime the songs are buffering or not even playing...

Win 7 here... free user.

Here is some additional insight. I have 48mb per second cable Internet verified during lag. I can stream a Netflix hd movie with no problem while Spotify is frozen in the middle of a song. I've tried every resolution suggested. Last night it became unusable on desktop so I ran Spotify on my DROID phone at highest quality and 2 bar 4G connection and it worked flawlessly. Today I'm going to try to recreate the issue and see if the problem will occur if I turn on wifi on my DROID phone instead of going through 4G. That should help me determine if it is a router issue or desktop software flaw.

Still the same problems here.

News never update and the songs need like 5 minutes till they start and are buffering 24/7.. 😞

Just cant listen to anything.. so sad =(

Not sure if this a fix or not, but I did some more troubleshooting focusing on my router. I read other posts and saw where other people had found if they set up a proxy router setting in their Spotify settings their issue went away. I went to my Spotify "Preferences" and saw that "Proxy" was set to "Automatic." I changed this to "No Proxy," shut down Spotify and restarted it and it started working immediately. Now on 4th song without lag. I'm crossing my fingers. Check your settings out as well. Good Luck.

Same issue works fine on Droid phone no issues. Desktop version want even load my playlists and when it does the songs take forever. From reading everyone elses its only affecting the desktop version of the software. And it looks like Spotify doesnt have an solution to our problems. if any does find a solution please post it. I have tried the proxy thing it did nothing for me. 

seriously. i tried every solution i found but still problems on mass. song is starting after 1-2 minutes and then it runs for like 3 secs. buffering again.. meanwhile all of my mates can enjoy the playlists..

pls fix this desktop issues as soon as possible..

What isp are you with...there was a problem with iinet and routing,  I guess the problem is going to have to be recitified at the isp level. 

My ISP is NetCologne and my bandwith is 18Mbit.

Windows 7 64x Bit

Have the issues for like 2 weeks now. 

Try this on your settings to see if it works. I was focused on my router being the issue and I found these settings within Spotify. Go to "Preferences" and scroll down to the Proxy settings. Mine were defaulted to "Auto" I changed the setting to "None." Restarted Spotify and it streamed for hours without issue. I have no idea if, how or why this made a difference, but I really think that the issue is in how my router sees the packets going back and forth from Spotify. I do believe that Spotify changed something in one of their last patches though based on nothing having changed with my router, or pc when this issue started. Good Luck.

I have not had the problem for a few weeks but encountered it yesterday coinciding with a download I had running. Was downloading a Garmin map update at 1MB per second and as soon as that started Spotify started acting that way. Didn't load the song until 15 seconds, then stopped and started again. The problem went away when the download was finished.

The thing is my connection is 10mpbs so 1/10 of that being spent on another download shouldn't affect Spotify. Somehow it does seem to. I wonder if this would be the router, computer, or ISP?

I tried changing the settings on Proxy from auto to none just now. Not sure if that will make a difference.

I had similar issues.  Setting proxy to "No proxy" appears to work so far.

Same here. Yesterday i changed the proxy settings and spotify worked all day. Today i open Spotify same issues as always wether the proxy setting is "no proxy" or not..

So it was a one day enjoyment. 😕

It´s longer than 2 months that nobody complaints about the buffering/lagging when playing our music. I´m not myself suffering anymore the problem since many weeks ago (windows 7, Spain, Premium, PC, iPad, iPhone and Android), it should mean that something positive has been done, if so... thanks very much to the stuff.

Suggested posts