Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify has stopped working.Windows error. If I start it, deinstall or reinstall it.

Spotify has stopped working.Windows error. If I start it, deinstall or reinstall it.

So today my Spotify broke, and every time I booted my PC Windows said 'Spotify has stopped working'. So I tried reinstalling, but that didnt help. After the download it shows the exact same message and it's gone. Deinstalling with the control panel resultet in the same error, immediately. So I thought maybe there is corrupt data on my drive, and deleted the Spotify Folders in %Appdata% and %Appdata%\..\Local, but still, same problem. Then I thought, it must be inside the registry, and deleted every key or value related to Spotify except Windows debug crash reports and the .mp3 file extension links. So there I am, with a computer that doesnt contain the word Spotify once, and still the installation wont start.

Any suggestions?

edit: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Pro Edition. Also I had to deactivate hardware acceleration to make it work in the first place, otherwise it would simply show me a black screen. I use a laptop with intel HD Graphics and an additional AMD graphics card.

7 Replies

Hi there! When you reinstalled, did you try the steps outlined here for a clean reinstallation of the application.

Give this a shot and let us know if it works. Cheers!

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

How would I? I cant reinstall it, and it's not even on my PC anymore, so there is literally nothing I could remove, it's cleaner than clean. And yes, I did download the newest version. Did you even read my post?

I cant do step 4 of the 'clean reinstall', since it then shows me the error message instead of uninstalling. I select uninstall spotify in the controlpanel and it immediately shows Spotify has stopped working. But that was before I cleaned the registry, now there is no Spotify in Windows' program list.

For clarification, the error popped up if I

• Boot my PC (Spotify tries to run on startup)
  • Run Spotify
  • Run Either Spotify.exe or SpotifyLauncher.exe from Appdata\Roaming\Spotify
  • Try to deinstall Spotify through Windows control panel
  • Run the Spotify installer (aka reinstall) (errors as soon as the download finishes)

And the last one still occurs now after a) deleting all Spotify files in the Appdata folders and b) cleaning the registry.

Yes...I did read the request. Thanks for checking though...

I suggest re-downloading the installer and trying again. If that doesn't work,  I recommend reaching out directly to Spotify Support. They can be reached through their Twitter Page @SpotifyCares or through the online contact form

Make sure to check your inbox and junk folder for an email from Spotify. Once you get it, make sure to reply back right away, even if it says it's from a "no-reply" email. This will assign your case to a Spotify rep and you should hear back within 24 hours.

Cheers!

Ok, I redownloaded the installer but it didnt help, so I'm gonna go to twitter now. Thanks!

Those guys should be able to help you from here. Post back here if you need anything else!

So I wrote an email now, and they replied with the same instructions page I got here beforehand, which tells you how to uninstall it regularly, but with the addition of telling me to reboot windows in safe mode, if that doesnt help. So I did reboot in safe mode and simply started it and it worked fine. Rebootet to normal mode and it's still working.

Others report that this error is connected to Bitdefender antivirus software, so if anyone has the same problem maybe try and whitelist the spotify process(es)

glad it was resolved for you!

Suggested posts