Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify instantly closes automatically on application startup

Solved!

Spotify instantly closes automatically on application startup

Plan

Premium

Country

United States

Device

Dell Laptop PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Alright so it's been a while since I've had a big issue with Spotify, things have seemed to generally run well. I've had problems in the past with it becoming painfully slow just from using it, down to where it will crash the entire device if I don't close and reopen Spotify in enough time, even with a brand new gaming laptop that can run huge games perfectly fine. The same issues seemed to persist no matter what kind of computer I used, and I've used quite a few different computers. Those problems still persisted at a much smaller rate, before this new problem.

But anyway, this time, it seems like I have a problem beyond practical use of Spotify. Now, it does not matter how many times I uninstall it and reinstall it from what sources (the official webpage, the Microsoft store, etc.), it just crashes instantly. It'll run once, ONE TIME, right after reinstallation. And I can do whatever I wanted to do: organize some songs for mobile, listen to some stuff and hope the computer doesn't crash, but after I close it, that's when the trouble begins. When I open the application, it just goes away. I've tried simply opening it once, over and over, but it just closes no matter what within a second of "startup", and I've tried spamming it open, and nothing. The application does what you'd imagine in that scenario, opens then instantly goes away, and then again and again and again and again until I stop spamming it. I know it's not the best method, but there's not really much else I can do other than uninstall and reinstall anyway. It's not like I can go into the settings and fix something, which is another thing that's annoying, because now everytime I have to reinstall it just to use it for one whole run, I have to edit everything back to how I wanted it each time. So yeah, I don't wanna have to use Spotify if it means I have to constantly go through a whole uninstall and reinstall process over and over. And did I mention that I tried restarting my computer, of course, too? Well, you know even then, I don't wanna have to restart my computer each time I wanna reopen Spotify too. In fact if anything, that's even more annoying than going through an uninstall/reinstall process.

So come on Spotify, I've been giving you lots of my money for a long time now, I'm very much an avid user of your application and I still love it no matter what. But I really don't wanna have to keep a subscription to an application that doesn't wanna work right. Even on mobile, there's lots of issues (on yes, many different devices), but I'm not going to go into that on this post. And to be fair, the issues there aren't as bad as they used to be anyway. But you know I need my local songs, and lots of other mass movements of songs that I can't simply do on my phone(s), so please. I can't be the only person with tons of issues on tons of devices for one service. Even if maybe somehow I do have something wrong that I can fix temporarily until another/the same problem rears its ugly head, which I will happily take for now, I would really appreciate it if you can somehow look into and fix some of these major problems here. There's a common party here with problems other than me. So please don't lose a subscriber, I love the formatting and the Spotify Singles and everything you can imagine that you service, I just want you to work properly. Anyway thank you for any support.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Alright wow I love a service that makes me figure the problems out all by myself. I dunno if this is what fixed it, or if it will stay this way, but I got it working functionally again just by searching in that weird Cortana search bar or whatever for "Spotify" and hitting the uninstall button there, like I would've for any other time. I didn't take any other steps to do anything else right after that, such as redownloading Spotify or anything. I ended up restarting my computer over some time and when I turned it back on, Spotify turned on all by itself by default since I forgot to turn off that setting after my last reinstall. Usually it would just do that anyway, but then immediately shut down. This time, it stayed on. No idea how. But since I was busy with other stuff at the time, I turned off Spotify, went about my other business, shut down my computer, etc. I go to turn it on again today, and I opened Spotify (since the auto-open was turned off), and it stayed on without crashing again. I haven't reopened Spotify in any other ways but I'm REALLY hoping this means it stays open from now on, hopefully even after one of these days I end up having to reinstall it for the normal issues such as it being slow and such. If anyone else has this problem, try that and see if it fixes. I'm gonna mark this post as resolved for now I guess, but hopefully that actually MEANS something since seemingly Spotify never actually has fixed issues. That doesn't mean everyone at Spotify should sit down and relax like they don't have to look into this now, this means that this problem should never have to resurface for anyone, just as every other issue, and that they should probably find some solutions. Thank you MissingElements for your help, I really appreciate it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

I have word for word, been experiencing this exact same issue for the past few days. I regurarly use Spotify daily, but not being able to open the program has naturally made it much more difficult. I also am using an Premium account, Dell Laptop PC, and Windows 10. 

Yeah this problem still hasn't gone away for me. Literally nothing has changed. I was hoping someone with some sort of solution would respond by now. Hopefully someone who works for Spotify is looking into it. I dunno, maybe us Dell users are unlucky or something. Either way there should be some sort of solution to this, I can't find anything online regarding it but I can tell this problem seems to be getting popular for a forum.

I would like to go ahead and address that my problem has still not been resolved by any means, let alone acknowledged by anyone else other than someone with the same problem who I assume is eagerly awaiting a solution.

Marked as solution

Alright wow I love a service that makes me figure the problems out all by myself. I dunno if this is what fixed it, or if it will stay this way, but I got it working functionally again just by searching in that weird Cortana search bar or whatever for "Spotify" and hitting the uninstall button there, like I would've for any other time. I didn't take any other steps to do anything else right after that, such as redownloading Spotify or anything. I ended up restarting my computer over some time and when I turned it back on, Spotify turned on all by itself by default since I forgot to turn off that setting after my last reinstall. Usually it would just do that anyway, but then immediately shut down. This time, it stayed on. No idea how. But since I was busy with other stuff at the time, I turned off Spotify, went about my other business, shut down my computer, etc. I go to turn it on again today, and I opened Spotify (since the auto-open was turned off), and it stayed on without crashing again. I haven't reopened Spotify in any other ways but I'm REALLY hoping this means it stays open from now on, hopefully even after one of these days I end up having to reinstall it for the normal issues such as it being slow and such. If anyone else has this problem, try that and see if it fixes. I'm gonna mark this post as resolved for now I guess, but hopefully that actually MEANS something since seemingly Spotify never actually has fixed issues. That doesn't mean everyone at Spotify should sit down and relax like they don't have to look into this now, this means that this problem should never have to resurface for anyone, just as every other issue, and that they should probably find some solutions. Thank you MissingElements for your help, I really appreciate it.

I have the same problem and have not been able to fix it. Support is garbage, and idk why I'm wasting my time when other music apps work just fine. Even posting this message wasn't working right. Clearly they have terrible software people.

Suggested posts