Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify keeps freezing up my entire computer

Solved!

Spotify keeps freezing up my entire computer

Spotify keeps freezing up my entire computer when I open or close it. A complete lock down, even the cursor wouldn't move. I'm forced to hold down the power button or sometimes a bluescreen would appear and my computer will restart. Nothing else on my computer does this. Only Spotify causes this to happen.

I have tried everything. I have tried re-installing, I have tried installing the app from the Microsoft Store, I have tried turning off Hardware acceleration, I have tried turning off local library integration, I have scanned my computer for any problems, but I can't figure this out. This has been happenening for nearly a year now and....i'm tired. I have really tried pinning this issue down but I can't figure it out. I'm posting here as a last resort, and I hope to get some get some help here.

It's not even consistent. Sometimes Spotify opens just fine. And when I do get it open, it works fine...but only until when I decide to close it. Closing it freezes up my computer too! But sometimes it doesn't! God, someone, please help

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey, @FalseAgent -

In this case, kindly leading you to this contact form so the support team can get things sorted 🙂 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and the support team will be able to lend you a hand. 

Thank you 🙂

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hey, @FalseAgent -

That's not cool! It looks like Spotify.exe might be colliding with your PC for some reason, and these turn out to be a disk error a lot of times.

What error code appears when you get a BSOD? (ex: BAD_POOL_HEADER) You can also check it out using an application called WhoCrashed

Please reply 🙂

Hi and thank you for your reply.

I cannot reproduce the BSOD consistently, my most recent freeze(s) have simply resulted in a generic "Windows was not shut down properly" error when it froze up, with no crash dumps that show up in WhoCrashed. However I have seen a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message more than once before.

Hey, @FalseAgent -

I see you've tried out a few troubleshoots already, which leaves us some solutions here;

1. Your reinstallation might have been unsuccessful. Try out a clean reinstall again through the following steps:

• Uninstall Spotify with the Windows Uninstaller.
  • Go to C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming and delete the folder named 'Spotify.'
  • A clean reinstall through here.

2. Update the Windows OS or Driver softwares- If your PC get BSODs after updating Windows or certain drivers, remove them and see if it works. 

3. Scan RAM and other disks for errors and faulty data.

• Search for 'Command Prompt' in start, and choose 'Run as Administrator.'
  • Type command 'sfc /scannow' in the prompt. It will now scan your disks and repair corrupted files.

Tell me if it works 🙂

I have tried all of that already. I have replaced nearly every single driver, I have scanned my entire disk, I have used Windows Memory Diagnostic, I have also done SFC /scannow. I have lost count of the number of times i've re-installed. It's the same thing everytime. This problem only happens with Spotify.

My disk had some errors once, but it's been corrected and it hasn't surfaced since.

Marked as solution

Hey, @FalseAgent -

In this case, kindly leading you to this contact form so the support team can get things sorted 🙂 

If you get an automated email reply back directing you to the community or help pages, you need to reply directly to that email (even if its from no-reply) and the support team will be able to lend you a hand. 

Thank you 🙂

Suggested posts