Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify offline (error code 4)

Solved!

Spotify offline (error code 4)

I've been unable to use spotify on my PC since upgrading to windows 10 about a week ago. Sometimes I get an error code 4, other times I get no error, just no connection. This is very frustrating, as I've tried ALL solutions described on the forums to no avail. 

I have tried:

• Performing a "clean" install of spotify
  • Making sure spotify is allowed through the firewall
  • Making sure my antivirus isn't blocking the app
  • Changing IPv4 DNS settings (to 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4)
  • Changing proxy settings within spotify
  • reinstalling spotify through the microsoft store

I have no problem using spotify on the same network on my phone.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi, after months of browsing the internet for solutions, I've finally solved the problem on my own. I'll share it in hopes of helping the many posters who've tried all other proposed solutions with no success. It's a simple registry edit.

• open registry editor
  • locate this folder: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\
    Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet
  • right click EnableActiveProbing, select modify, and change the value from 0 to 1

I believe this to be the intended default value anyway.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Hi there @roseworthy,

thanks for reaching out to the community !

Is the device you're using yours ? or is it a company device ?

Are you experiencing any other issues on your other devices ?

Thanks for your cooperation 🙂

Hi, Yes the PC is my own home PC running on my home network. I have no issue using Spotify on my phone over the same network.

Hi @roseworthy,

Sorry for the delay and thanks for bearing with me !

Let's start with a few easy steps (take one action at the time to test it):

- Restart your router/modem

- Create a hotspot for the app using your phone

- Restart you PC on safe mode with enabled network connection (F8 while rebooting to reach safe mode)

In the meanwhile, for furthest testing, please provide me with your current Spotify version.

Thanks again for your patience 🙂

Hi, I've now tried restarting my router and booting into safe mode to no avail. I've also performed another clean install. My current version is 1.1.29.592.gf0779179

Thanks 

Marked as solution

Hi, after months of browsing the internet for solutions, I've finally solved the problem on my own. I'll share it in hopes of helping the many posters who've tried all other proposed solutions with no success. It's a simple registry edit.

• open registry editor
  • locate this folder: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\
    Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet
  • right click EnableActiveProbing, select modify, and change the value from 0 to 1

I believe this to be the intended default value anyway.

It works, thank you very much

Thanks ! You saved me !
Don't need to install it from the crappy Windows Store.

I was so excited when I saw this but my registry value is already set at 1 😞

Thank you so much roseworthy!! I've tried all imaginable ways of fixing this in all forums, but the EnableActiveProbing was the culprit and now Spotpify works.

Thank you again! Time to listen to some great music 😄

Ditto... Already set to 1 here.

Its too bad that spotify devs cant fix this trivial issue. Apparently they are using buggy MS feature to check if they are online...like why dont query damn spotify servers to determine this?? What logic is behind that? Lazy coding? Imo its actually more coding, so i dont understand why to do it, instead of directly going to stream stuff when play button is pressed, you do additional check asking broken MS sign which direction the internet connection is...

So my win10 2004 has some weird issue with virtualbox network adapter and when its enabled windows goes to "no internet" but everything works fine except lame apps that use this to determine if system is online...apps like spotify, xbox app and generally MS apps (store, outlook etc). 

I had spotify installed from MS store, tried to uninstall and install standalone version from web download , hoping it may be better coded, but same situation. Tidal works in this situation just fine.

@roseworthy thanks for info, although it doesnt work for me, it seems that bugged service may be reason for many frustrated users with "offline" spotify. Hopefully the devs can fix this, though i doubt bc its long present...

Suggested posts