Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify randomly maxes out volume

Spotify randomly maxes out volume

Every time I change song the volume maxes out including my downloaded songs and also whenever I startup the app.
Tried clearing cache, reinstalling, logging out and back in, and messing with the volume normalizer.
Spotify for Windows (64 bit)
1.2.47.364.gf06e5cee
74 Replies

I'm having the same issue with the desktop app, when I first select a playlist or album the volume goes to max until I adjust the volume slider.

I've tried clearing the cache and I've performed a clean install from both the website download and from the microsoft store but neither install helped.
Happens with both bluetooth headphones and 3.5mm jack.

Windows 11 Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631

Spotify app version Spotify for Windows (64 bit) 1.2.47.364.gf06e5cee

Would like to add that I have same issue and it also plays specifically max volume and it will do it for ads as well as the song after the ad if you fix volume for ad. 

same issue few days ago, now seems good tho

@Exarkun77 This worked for me except now, when I relaunch, the zoom resets to the original scale.

can confirm, full-wipe/clean reinstall steps didn't work, having same issue.

switching between usb headset output and my 3.5mm jack speaker output will reset spotify's volume to acting as if it were set to the absolute maximum (both when the app on my phone is open and closed) until manually clicking into the volume slider to re-set the value.

clearing the cache didn't help, nor did the clean reinstall. this started no more than 6 days ago by my recollection.

i haven't tested on a free account, but it does happen on premium. Hardware acceleration has no effect on behavior

downloaded direct from spotify

VER: Spotify for Windows (64 bit)
1.2.47.364.gf06e5cee

PC WIN11

Had a weird problem where volume is on full blast every time spotify is opened, PC booted or when changing audio output. Moving the slider didn't have affect before music was playing. So many times I blasted my ears off before I rembered to start a song with quiet start and press pause before anything was heard, move slider and then press play again.

Clean installed twice, cleared cache, tweaked audio settings, removed speakers and wireless headphones. Nothing worked. Installed the older version (1.2.41.434) and now it's fixed. They messed up something in the latest version (1.2.47.364). Just wanted to write this here incase someone has similar problems.

Having the same issue here on two computers which never connect to each other. Happened around the same time last Thursday/Friday and has been happening since. It's not just when the application first opens, but also when changing between playlists or search results.

1.2.47.364.gf06e5cee

One machine is windows 10, then other is windows 11

Yes! Just like OP says, every time I open Spotify or change audio output, the volume is set to 100%. Visually, the slider is untouched, but in reality the volume is played at 100%, even though the slider shows otherwise. It remains this way until touching the slider.

I usually have my volume at around 20%, so suddenly catapulting the volume to 100% is frustrating, disrupting, and frankly a bit painful, particularly when I have headphones on, or when it's late at night.

I don't think marking this as a solution is a very good idea, as "reverting to a previous version" isn't a suitable fix, especially for users of the Windows 10/11 app, which don't have control over this. It'll give the Spotify team the impression that this was an user error and not an actual bug in the current version of the desktop app.

Ain't the most pleasing experience to have Spotify blast my eardrums with the volume of a jetliner, I sure hope the tinnitus goes away and this isn't permanent hearing damage, sheesh

Plan

Premium

Device

Windows 11 custom PC

Operating System

Windows 11 23H2 (Microsoft Store app)

My Question or Issue

Since approximately this weekend, playing a local song sometimes forces the playback volume back to max volume. The actual volume slider doesn't move, If I click the volume slider where it currently is, the volume returns to its normal level.

The weird thing is that it doesn't seem to do this consistently, but it is very annoying.

It seems a recent update broke something.

Same issue here.  I even did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 and issue persists.  Fix fix Spotify please.  This is breaking my ears everytime I switch from bluetooth speakers to bluetooth headset. 

I've reverted back to v. 1.2.42.290 with no issues.

Same issue since the last update on the Microsoft Store, really annoying

Yeah, I find I have been having the same issue for the last few days.
It's more annoying than anything as I have to move the slider every time I start up Spotify to stop it deafening me.

My Spotify Desktop app just updated via the Windows store, now shows:-

1.2.47.366.g0d3bd570

However, it hasn't fixed the problem 🙄

Exact same situation since 2 or 3 days, on a NUC8 with fully updated Win10, connected to an external USB DAC which outputs to active speakers. Also using latest version 1.2.47.364. Reinstalling from Windows Store didn't fix it. 

Sounded like I almost blew up my precious speakers, so stopped using Spotify for now. Luckily I wasn't using headphones!

Currently experiencing this issue as well and have been for days, volume maxes out randomly upon song changes and on app startup. Fresh install did not fix, audio normalization did not either. Has been damaging my hearing and very frustrating. Current version that I am still experiencing this issues on- Spotify for Windows (64 bit) 1.2.47.364.gf06e5cee

Same problem here, going to cancel subscription if this is not resolved soon

Same issue...

Suggested posts