Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify's taskbar icon on the wrong monitor every single time (dual monitors)

Solved!

Spotify's taskbar icon on the wrong monitor every single time (dual monitors)

We had a five page thread; Spotify closed it because "nobody responded in a long time". That's because, Spotify, ya never fixed it.

How to reproduce (you need two monitors):

1. Open Spotify and close it on the second monitor.

2. Open Spotify again. The icon will be on the primary monitor, but the window will be on the secondary monitor.

2019-02-01_17-42-06.jpg

Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1803 (April 2018 update).

Spotify version 1.0.99.250.g936eab8d (Windows Store version).

See this 45 second video for the full walkthrough (see a normal application vs Spotify). Put the icon on the correct taskbar, Spotify.

// IGNORE THE TOP ANSWER BELOW: THERE IS NO ANSWER NOR SOLUTION. SPOTIFY COMMUNITY MODS BARELY UNDERSTAND WINDOWS.

// IGNORE "Top Answer" BELOW:

120 Replies

Yeah, it seems to work first load after an update, but then goes back to it's behaviour on the next restart of the app.

*sigh*

I've just checked. No luck on that same 1.1.4.197.g92d52c4f version (Windows 10 Pro x64 / 1803):

I think the bug has always done that: it might work 10% of the time, but after a few uses/restarts, it always goes back to this broken state. I don't think anyone has made it work consistently, but almost everyone has it in the broken state.

Thus, I think the issue is just dilligence and working through thirty layers of bureaucracy: anyone with dual monitors on Windows can reproduce this within an hour, tops, as far as I can see.

Unforuntately, every Spotify representative I've spoken with remarked they'd never tested with dual monitors.

In other news, the Twitter team finally replied back and now our bug has moved from "the right folks" to "the tech folks".

2019-04-10_16-43-25.png

I think we're almost there: just the "the development folks" and "the Windows folks" left, with perhaps a stop at "the icon folks" in between. And then a final hello to "the actually right folks" and it'll be fixed.

While I was researching, I found a humorous and hope-draining subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/spotifygore

I've noticed that whenever it glitches and shows Spotify on the wrong taskbar window, I can manually "fix it" by dragging Spotify to the main taskbar and maximizing it, then dragging it back to the original window. The icon then shows up on the correct taskbar.

@theITfactor wrote:

I've noticed that whenever it glitches and shows Spotify on the wrong taskbar window, I can manually "fix it" by dragging Spotify to the main taskbar and maximizing it, then dragging it back to the original window. The icon then shows up on the correct taskbar.

Yes, exactly: you just need to do it each time. This bug is just Spotify's silly launch behavior; Spotify is fundamentally capable of being used on a secondary monitor, thankfully, which would be the most inane bug.

They just can't put the icon on the correct monitor upon launching.

Anoying issue

From time to time I'll get back to Spotify from other music streaming services, but it's annoyances like this that make me want to stop using it again. I don't buy Premium because everytime there's some big issue that just makes it not enjoyable

Yes, there was a Spotify update today.

No, the bug was not fixed (except for your very first launch. Launch Spotify a few more times and it'll break right back).

We're now on Spotify 1.1.5.153.gf614956d -- still broken.

afrOJRj

Same issue

Windows 10 1809 (OS-Build: 17763.437)

Spotify: 1.1.5.153.gf614956d

Same issue

Windows 10 1903 (Build 18362.86, insider slow ring)

Spotify 1.1.5.153.gf614956d

Hardware accelaration off fixed it

Hardly. 😞 It works once or twice, at best, for most users. Then Spotify reverts to its broken state. A lot users stumbled onto that, too, but it's so temporary, I don't even consider it a workaround. Screenshot of trying it again for the kicks:

2019-05-04_16-46-30.jpg

The hardware acceleration toggle is very tempermental: it's like the updates. You can update it, it'll fix itself for a few restarts, and then you're back to broken.

Still broken on 1.1.7.13766.gf9dc3904.

Posting also to keep this thread alive; if no one replies for some time, Spotify will automatically lock the thread.

dZ31irc

Yes, this is anoying as **bleep**.

Especially as it is quite inconsitent - you can move Spotify window from secondary screen to main screen and then back to secondary, this fixes issue temporary. But after a while (not sure when), Spotify taskbar item moves back to main screen leaving window in secondary...

Never I had such a problem with any other application in my life

Still broken.

Version: 1.1.7.13766.gf9dc3904

Fix this fking bug.

THERE IS NO SOLUTION. (Tip to Spotify Community mods: don't mark your confused responses as "solutions"...that helps nobody)

YES, it is STILL broken on 1.1.8.439.g8502297d. Yes, it will temporarily fix itself until you restart your computer...and then it's broken again forever.

https://i.imgur.com/72ljLUQ.jpg

72ljLUQ

I just received an update for spotify and it's still broken.

Still broken.Still broken.

How about you listen to your community and fix this shít already?

Really sad.

This type of issue is SUPER unprofessional for a company this big. I just joined spotify only to discover this bug and I WILL cancel my subscription and return to Amazon Music if this is not fixed. I truly expected more...

So far...thats the case...

Spotify as an app/program can't decide on which taskbar their icon shows up, so it's not their problem. I have that problem also sometimes, but when I log on, and my spotify auto starts on my second screen, the button is on my second screen where it belongs.

EDIT its indeed only the spotify store app. With the desktop app it works as usual.

Are you sure? Even after rebooting and starting Spotify again? Most of the time it works only once or twice and then stops working again.

Suggested posts