Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify simply disconnects my Desktop from the internet. Help!

Spotify simply disconnects my Desktop from the internet. Help!

OK so I've had this issue for roughly 6 months now and with my Google detective work I've been unable to find a solution.

Whenever I open the Desktop app on my PC the Ethernet connection is completely cut off and so I'm unable to use Spotify. I've reinstalled the app may times over the 6 month period hoping a patch may have fixed it but I'm still without any luck. I have two other devices in the house that work fine over Wi-Fi. One being a laptop (using the exact same app) and a Smartphone. 

Spotify is definitely  the reason my Connection is cutting off. It is the only piece of Software that has ever caused this problem.

I'm sure I can't be the only person out there with this issue so I'm looking forward to a response.

Thanks,

Will 

8 Replies

I have the same problem, I've tried to reinstall Spotify completely several times and it didn't help, same with using some older versions. It happens at every single PC i have at home and it's not a problem with my Internet provider or router

It's incredibly frustrating since I pay for Spotify and I can't even use it because it goes offline after 10 seconds 

bump

I have the exact issue! Disappointed that there hasn't been any fix.

Hey folks, @ndehardt,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community about this. 

Just to double-check, have you guys tried performing a clean reinstall of the Spotify app on the device you use? We recommend the clean reinstall as it'll remove the old drivers first and then install the new ones. It'll also get you the latest version of Spotify. If not, give it a try and let us know the result.

Restarting the router and trying how the app behaves under a different network is also worth giving it a try, as these steps will show you if the issue is connection-related.

We also recommend you check this help page for more info. The steps provided tend to solve issues like the one you're having.

Hope you'll find this info useful. We'll look out for your reply! 

In my case, also in spotify web player, disconnects internet.. is not  an app... maybe a protocol or similar....

yes even in 2022, the problem continues and it does not matter whether I use the software or the web player. It causes the disconnection.

Hey @omeraktash,

Thanks for your reply in this thread 🙂

First of all, could you let us know the device, OS, and version of Spotify that you're using? Also, if you could let us know when this issue started, that would be super helpful!

Additionally, is Spotify allowed through all Firewalls and Anti-Virus software that you have installed? We'd also like to know if this is happening on a home or work connection.

We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

Take care!

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Similar problem here: Spotify thinks there is no internet connection. Spotify just decides there is no internet (or tries to use WiFi when I have an Ethernet connection?), but I use the WiFi to serve a hotspot.

No fix on clean reinstall, and new problem: instead of showing my preferred display name on log in, it shows the janky why on earth did Spotify ever force this 30-odd random character username that Spotify forced on me on signup. (And still won't play songs).

Weirdly, this solves both problems: disable my hostpot, remove the WiFi device, restart Spotify.

Suggested posts