Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify won't play "local files" songs!

Solved!

Spotify won't play "local files" songs!

Hi there!

When I want to play files from "local files", some of them won't play. I don't really understand why ?

They've been imported from itunes. The bottom bar doesn't show anything and the "point" has disappeared!

If any of you got an idea? 

Cheers! 

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

I've had a scramble around in the Search and dug up this: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Most-local-files-won-t-play/m-p/19835#M1736

Worth a go, at least.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Ok, next try installing a new codec such as the one at http://www.free-codecs.com/mpeg_layer_3_codec_download.htm

In the meantime I'll see if there's anything else that could be causing this.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

Marked as solution

That codec did the works! 🙂 Thanks!

Marked as solution

Installing the codec did it for me too.

Marked as solution

Since this is a large enough thread bumped to recently and this is a huge hit for google for looking up why spotify doesn't like their customers.

So the only way to play local files is for you to go to settings, preferences, scroll down to local files, and add sources.
Now so for example, if my music is located on my desktop I will find the directory and open it. Now spotify will recognize ALL music supported within that folder. 

BAM now you can PAINFULLY add YOUR OWN music to a platform YOU MAY BE PAYING 10 DOLLARS A MONTH FOR.

86 Replies

Hey, welcome to the Community.

Which format are the files in? There might be a compatibility issue if they're from iTunes - have a look here.

I have the same problem. My Imported files are MP3s, but they are still useable without playing.

Can you play those songs in another music player?

I'm having the same issue 😞

My local MP3's won't play in Spotify. Plays fine in Itunes, but when opened in Spotify there's silence and there's no time at the bottom bar as with the other songs played in Spotify. Please help!

Which version of Spotify are you running? Check this under Help > About Spotify.

Version 0.8.2.610.g090a06f8
Marked as solution

I've had a scramble around in the Search and dug up this: http://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Most-local-files-won-t-play/m-p/19835#M1736

Worth a go, at least.

Have the latest Quicktime and have also tried unchecking the "Enable Hardware Acceleration" mentioned in http://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/Can-t-play-local-files/td-p/28779 but still no success.... 😞
Marked as solution

Ok, next try installing a new codec such as the one at http://www.free-codecs.com/mpeg_layer_3_codec_download.htm

In the meantime I'll see if there's anything else that could be causing this.

Marked as solution

That codec did the works! 🙂 Thanks!
Marked as solution

Installing the codec did it for me too.

This did not work for me.  😞

i have also just installed spotify and am having a problem with playing a bassnectar album, all files are mp3, i ca go to the file location if i right click on the song and play through windows media player and other songs i have in the same folder work. i have tried installing new codec and have the latest version of quicktime, these songs which dont play dont appear in the itunes folder on spotify even though i have them on itunes. would be great if someone could help, spotifys let me down so far tracks keep skipping and repeating and the next song wont autoplay at the end of the last one unless i manually select it, will there ever be a patch or anything?

The codec didn't work for me either, and I tried reinstalling Spotify a few times.  It won't play a single local file that will play in iTunes or Windows Media Player!

Let's see, you posted "In the meantime I'll see if there's anything else that could be causing this."

FOUR MONTHS AGO!

Still checking on it? 

I think Spotify knows very well about this problem and intends to do ZERO about it. This very same things happens on my Mac computers, all THREE of them! 

Everytime I post something about it I get responses like "what version do you have?" and "Spotify won't play AAC files" and my favorite "Install Quicktime". 

The first answer is a stall technique meaning "We know the problem but, we will stall and stall and stall on it"

The 2nd answer is something I KNOW!!! Dear God, does anyone know anything there?

The 3rd answer is amazing in it's stupidity for Mac users. QT is part of the OS now. Quicktime is not a sepearte component anymore (on Macs). 

I've been asking this question about Spotify's inabilty to play my local files for almost a year now. I get nothing. Nada. Zilch.

They give you a complete runaround like the old tech support people at MS when they say "reinstall Windows". 

Spotify expects me to delete music, reinstall, go here, go there, look backwards, post a question, get more of a runaround and I am PAYING for this? 

Moronic. It's the only word to describe Spotify's responses to this question. 

Meanwhile, we are to believe the moderator, "Richard", has been diligently looking into this for 4 months now. 

....right.

gfahey - sorry to hear we haven't been able to help you out on this so far, and I apologise for neglecting to update this thread recently. There are a number of factors that could be causing this issue, and for the most part we're able to sort it out using the standard troubleshooting methods.

In your case though, we're having a little more trouble. Have you submitted a case through our contact form yet? That'd be the best way to get this thoroughly dealt with and escalated as necessary.

I really hope you don't feel we're fobbing you off with this. Thanks for your understanding.

I can confirm that this solved my issue on windows 8. 🙂

Download the codec and install. No restart of spotify needed.

The MP3-Codec finally helped - thanks for that. Still this is something that should not happen. I pay 10€/Month, I expect things to run as smoothly as promised. And if I ever find out that actually the quicktime update was the problem, I quit - don't let Apple rule your life, Google is way better aht that 😄

Installing quicktime worked.

the bad part is I had to install quicktime....

Suggested posts