Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spots doesn't install on Windows 10 *error code 18*

Solved!

Spots doesn't install on Windows 10 *error code 18*

I saw a 4 page thread with this error code and no mod or anyone associated with Spotify even replied.

So here goes pissing into the wind.  

I unistalled Spots...using Windows 10....then went to install it.  During the installatin process I get Error Code 18.

Something about be sure spotify isn't running and then try again.

Honestly...kinda shocked this is a problem.

43 Replies

tried the "clean reinstall" and had no luck after using the links you provided. still getting the same error. 

thanks for your response, but got any other ideas? this is a real bummer for a paid service. 

thank you! I had this problem and clicked the alternate installer link and it worked!

The new instakker worked like a charm. Can't live without my music!

The installer worked for me ! Thx a lot !

Thank you, thank you, thank you. The second link did the trick!

I encountered the same situation but here is what I did and it worked! 🙂 I promised that if it worked I would share it, so there:

I opened the Windows task manager, and saw that there were a couple of old spotify tasks open. Click on them, then click on end task. Try to reinstall the application. I think this is what freed up the files to allow them to be used by the installation process. 

Good luck, and I hope this works. 

For me it was an installer issue. Tried the installer you provided, asked if I wanted to overwrite and worked like a charm. Thank you!

Quick solution,
Great solution!!!!

Thanks man it worked

The link gave me a different result, it said 'Unable to initialize the storage of temporary files.' This sucks cause I pay for premium and have nothing to show for it.

Jaden Mattox

Thanks worked for me. Other forums recommended reinstalling Windows 10. Had to be an easier way...... found it. 🙂

You're my hero. TY
Marked as solution

Hi everyone,

I had this problem on my Windows 10 aswell and managed to solve it. The installer provided did not help and still kept getting error code 18. What i noticed is that i had couple spotify .tmp -files running on the background which could not be closed or deleted. You can check for these from task manager tab "Additional information" (not sure if it goes by that name in english version of windows, but try very similiar one if it doesn't)

That tab should show you all the programs that are currently running. If you see anything spotify related there, you have them running.

If so, uninstall spotify if you already haven't and restart your computer. That will clean the .tmp files from Appdata/roaming -folder. Now install Spotify again and you should succeed!

Marked as solution

thanks this is the only way I could fix it Ta

Thanks Anthony, works like a treat. Tried so many diffwerent ways but never managed to do it.

Thanks 

thank you s

Thank you it worked

I followed the directions for uninstalling and removing spotify from my laptop and it still gives me the error code 18. Before I tried to uninstall and reinstall every time I tried to open the Spotify app it said there was a problem with the application. Not sure what else I can do because from what I can see it is no longer on my computer. 

If you still get the error after the "Clean reinstallation" article, try restarting your computer. Worked great for me.

Thanks

yo thx so much it works

Suggested posts