Premium

Country

Spain

Device

Personal Computer

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

Hi! I've been getting this message after I close Spotify (it usually bugs and I can't search for any music nor see my music inside Liked Songs or playlists). Whenever I close Spotify there's a really high chance (lately almost 100% of the times I close it) that it doesn't close fully, if I try to open it again it says "The Spotify application isn't responding".

I usually fix it opening Task Manager and closing the spotify.exe manually.

This has been happening for a while (3+ months), I have not only reinstalled Spotify but completely reinstalled Windows 10 (for other reasons) and it still happens. I would say there's some bug when closing the Electron app that makes it not fully close on Windows.

I've got a laptop with Mac OS Big Sur and it runs flawlessly there (also no bugs regarding the songs).

Is anyone looking into this issue? It's starting to get a bit annoying as it's been months since it began to happen.

Have a good day!

Oscar.

53 Replies

After disabling Hardware Acceleration, I haven't had a crash in a week

tofandel_0-1651504907076.png

I just wanted to share some info that i thought was interesting.

I ran into this bug for the first time today (Win 11 - app store version 1.1.84.716.gc5f8b819). At first the app seemed to work okay but a number (not all) of the tiles on the home screen weren't filled with images. Clicking on a tile didn't do anything. So i closed the app and restarted, only to see the 'application not responding' message. This happened a few times in a row. I then went to do something else for about 5 minutes and then clicked on the Spotify icon again. now it started just fine.

So whatever the cause is, in some cases there might be a timeout for a process or device (GPU) to close before the app will be responsive again. Maybe this will help a few people to workaround the problem for the time being and for Spotify to get more insight into the problem.

I have been having this issue for a while now too, it started randomly a few months ago. Music continues  to play (can even be skipped using keyboard controls) but the app itself is completely frozen, currently playing artwork doesn't update, I can't navigate around the app at all etc. The only way to fix it is to close Spotify, then I have to go and end the process in Task Manager (theres usually 5-6 Spotify.exe processes running, cancelling the top or bottom (which one is a random choice each time) instance usually closes them all, otherwise each one has to be closed 1 by 1) otherwise I get the error trying to reopen it. This happens to me at least once a day, usually multiple times.

Same issue here. This problem has existed for many years, on different systems, fresh clean installs. I have tried the "super uninstall" option, including the extra steps.  But the problem always persists.

Don't Spotify employ any actual engineers that can solve problems like this? You know, like a serious company would do.

Hi there folks,

Thank you for your replies in this thread. Let's try to fix this together!

To start with, can you let us know what troubleshooting steps you've done that's been provided in the thread?

We'll be on the lookout for your replies.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hi Jeremy,

What would it take to escalate this up to the actual software development team, you know, as a bug?

Apologies, but I don't see how we "try to fix this together".

Regards,

Amir

I did everything all of it, including the third world tech support set of instructions and it worked well for a while.. and just now the application is completely unresponsive.

Also wth does even "Let's try to fix this together!" mean? Is the app open source and I missed that part? Otherwise this is fully on YOU.

I've dropped out. I won't pay for a solution that never comes. You gotta be kidding me you really don't know how to fix this. All you say is "aRe yOu SuRe YoU'vE dOnE aLL tHe StEpS aBoVe?". That's insane! We told you a THOUSAND times WE HAVE DONE and NOTHING SOLVED THE PROBLEM. 

Well good luck who insists on spotify, cuz I'm really happy now on AMAZON MUSIC

Hey folks!

We can see where the frustration is coming from and it's fairly understandable.
What it takes to escalate this issue up the chain though is being able to reliably recreate the issue and understand why it happens. 
In order to reassign resources to investigate this from other areas, we do need to have a clear understanding of both the impact and the cause of the issue, making sure that it isn't device based and isn't related to the app as a whole.
If this only occurs on a particular device/setup, finding a fix may prove itself difficult. Only if we can find a common denominator across the affected accounts can we actually address the issue and move things forward.

For the time being, we'd ask you to provide us with your OS type + version, your Spotify version and any other specific details or troubleshooting steps you've attempted.
Thanks for understanding 🙂

VasilModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Having this issue as well already for a long time, only things that helps me getting control in spotify is killing the spotify processES(yes multiple 🙄) in taskmanager advanced and restarting spotify. Tried the hardware acceleration setting off, but no luck
OS Version Windows 10 Pro build 19044.1766  Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

Spotify for Windows
1.1.89.862.g94554d24

After skimming through this topic: I have the exact same problem:

- Spotify becomes unresponsive,
- I close it via a rightclick on the taskbar icon,
- trying to reopen it leads to a "the application is not responding" prompt, 
- I kill all the Spotify processes until I seem to hit the "main" process and all others quit with it

- I reopen Spotify, it "installs" and functions as normal until it doesnt. 

My guess is this is related to an updater. But whatever the case is, this has been persistant for years and is really annoying. Please fix, we are paying customers.

Also: I am really not interested in trying to debug this. Its clearly not an isolated problem with my system. If you need any non boilerplate info from me and I can actually help getting you information to replicate the issue I am happy to help though

Edition Windows 10 Pro N
Version 21H2
Installiert am ‎27.‎07.‎2021
Betriebssystembuild 19044.1826
Leistung Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

Spotify für Windows
1.1.91.824.g07f1e963

but as i said - its been here for years.

Exactly as im experiencing. However i can still play my playlist that was active last time and skip songs. Browsing new stuff is not possible and media buttons dont work as well. 

Hey folks,

We understand your frustration when the app fails to load, however the reasons for this happening could be much different for each and every one of you. We'd be most helpful if we're able to address and troubleshoot such generally formulated requests independently on a case by case basis. 

Ultimately, what we can suggest here is to check the Ongoing issues board for relevant threads that might already address your issue, and before positing your own request also to do some basic troubleshooting yourselves like performing a clean reinstall of the app for example, to see if this makes a change for you.

As this thread here has become too general and has grown a bit old, going forward, we'd like to close it off and refer you to post any further feedback alongside all your details  in a fresh new post in one of the relevant help boards.

We hope this clears things up. Take care!

LyubkaModerator

Hey folks!

We're moving this topic's up to date discussion over here 🙂
Please refrain from spamming, so that we can keep things clear and resolve the issue as quickly as possible.
Thanks!

VasilModerator
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts