Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Trend Micro antivirus detected a worm in one of the audio files spotify downloaded

Trend Micro antivirus detected a worm in one of the audio files spotify downloaded

Plan

Free

Country

New Zealand

Device

DELL XPS

Operating System

Windows

My Question or Issue

26th Sep 2018, 10:30am my antivirus notified me that one of the audio files spotify app downloaded was infected. I didn't have any impact on the actual music I was listening. I reckon it could be from one of the ads that played through. I can't post the full message due to content checking in the message body, but here's the gist of it.

Message meets Alert condition

Virus/Worm detected: W32/AppRider.**bleep**

date=2018-09-26

time=10:30:31

srcip=10.64.2.216 dstip=193.235.51.113 srcport=55960 dstport=80

filename="004a8ad3ee5a3bf16e31441259b5ba70ff41cd53"

url="http://audio-sp-sjc.spotify.com/audio/004a8ad3ee5a3bf16e31441259b5ba70ff41cd53?1537918223_BokX4d6lu9...

Can someone please give some feedback around what the actuals file coming from spotify contains?

Also I wanted to raise community awareness this could be happening and potentially infecting peoples computers without a user action as a trigger.

3 Replies

Hey @lpetroli

The streamed music is (temporarily) cached for playback in these files.

I need some extra information on this 🙂

Could you provide a screenshot of this message (this should be in your antivirus' logs)?
Also, please give your exact version of operating system, your antivirus and your Spotify client (you'll find this under menu dots - Help - About Spotify).

Was there any ad running at the time you received this message, or did anything else happen in Spotify (playback or images/videos)?

If it happened during some song instead, could you retry and see if it happens again? If yes, please post a link to the song. If it was an ad, please give a screenshot of this. 🙂

I'll be here for you!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Hi.

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. Here's the screen shot.

OS is Windows 10 Pro

Antivirus is Trend Micro

Spotify current version is 1.0.89.313.g34a58dea

I don't know what was running at the time, as I only received the alert from our IT department several minutes later.

image.png

@lpetroli

Sorry about the delay!

Spotify loads only encrypted audio and cache files from these addresses and I am pretty sure this might have been a false positive. 🙂

However, if this happens again, definitely let me know and I'll look into it!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts