Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to install: error code 53

Solved!

Unable to install: error code 53

Hi

My work PC just got updated to Windows 7 Enterprise. I started installing all the needed programs including Spotify because I listen to a lot of music at work. However, I'm unable to install. I get this error message:

---------------------------
Spotify Installer
The installer encountered an unknown error.

(Error code: 53)
Retry Cancel

I tried hitting Retry a couple of times. It downloads the installer again and after a few moments I get the same error message again. I couldn't find anything on this error code on Google or Spotify FAQ/forums.

What do I do to make it work?

119 Replies

thx man my spotify isnt working yet but i think i am on the right track thx 2 u

srry mate did not work for my windows 7 and im still experiencing unknown errors such as 17 and 53

FYI, you need to run that "whitelist EXEs currently in all blocked locations" action twice. once during the download, then once again when it goes to install.

If you only run it during the "downloading spotify" sequence, it will whitelist the SpotifySetup, but not the installer.  Then you get an Error 17.  Next step is to run the SpotifySetup a second time, and this time, when it says "Installing", run the Whitelist sequence again, and install will be successful.

How did you accomplish this? Where did you move it to? What pattern are you referring to?

Marked as solution

@Wolfesbain wrote:

Not sure if people are still dealing with this issue, but here is a REAL EASY fix for the error for Windows 7 Machines. 

1) Run the installer normally. The install will fail with the 'Error Code 53' - That's alright.

2) Click START and, in the search bar, type 'show hidden files'.

3) In the results, click on 'Show hidden files and folders' - This will open a  window. Verify that the 'Show hidden files' option is selected.

4) Navigate to:C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming and locate the newly created Spotify folder.

5) Right click the Spotify Folder and select the 'Cut' option.

6) Back out to C:\Users\<USERNAME> and paste the Spotify folder there.

7) Open the Spotify folder and locate the 'Spotify Launcher'. 

You can launch Spotify from this location and it works fine, (I have it running now, in fact). You may return to this location to start the app, or right click the Spotify Launcher --> Send to --> Desktop and create a desktop shortcut.

Cheers!

I need to clarify something since I have received some responses about this solution not working.

Try using this method with just the regular spotify installer first. If that fails, then you will need to download the full application.

You can check here for the full installation:

offline installer: http://download.spotify.com/SpotifyFullSetup.exe

Download the full installation and then run that from your download location. The full installation will load in the same default locations as when running the online installer. Once you have downloaded the full setup application, just follow the instructions above, same as before.

something for windows 10???

I don't get what you guys are talking about and how to fix this error code 53. Anyway you guys could help?

I moved the Spotify folder from C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming to C:\Program Files and then ran the exe. This now works for me. Moving the Local files made no difference, got error 17.

Thanks for the updates guys, this really helped.

This worked!  Thank you soooooooooo much. 

Perfect! Thanks!

Could you be more precise - where do i find the Appdata directory, and where should i move Spotify to so i  can open it. Thank you

Thank goodness I found this thread! This method worked for me on my Win-7 Enterprise work PC.  Thanks for posting.

Marked as solution

@jmholla:

1) Locate the Spotify directory in C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming

2) Select, then cut the folder (ctrl-x)

3) Back up to C:\Users\<USERNAME>

4) Paste the Spotfiy folder (ctrl-v) there

5) Open the Spotify folder and run spotify.exe

Thanks for the assistance.  What a brain dead configuration for Spotify to use. 

Thank you - brilliant!

Help!

I have followed your instructions but when I get to the Spotify folder in C Drive, it's empty!  What now?

Doesn't help semi illiterate user who doesn't know about directories.

Marked as solution

you are a genius, thank you!

This is not something nice to have in 2016. You guys fix these or you'll lose subscribers. I'm a newly premium user and I'm being bothered by something so simple as this.

Also in Chrome, Brasil, Brasília/DF I'm having a 500 server error while trying to load the online player. How can something even be sold if nothing works? God darn it.

Error description below:

A página de play.spotify.com não está funcionando

play.spotify.com não consegue atender a esta solicitação no momento.

HTTP ERROR 500

Suggested posts