Premium

Country

US

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 7, Firefox 64.0.2

My Question or Issue

When using the web player, it will skip ahead 5 songs and then will only play the first 10 seconds of the song. I have found a "solution" for only playing 10 seconds, have the web player open in two different tabs and the second one will play all of the song. However, it still skips ahead 5 songs in the second window.

I am not having this issue on the Android app. I use the web player at work so there is no option for downloading the desktop app. I have tried clearing cookies, changing audio output, and making sure my browser is up to date.

19 Replies

I have the exact same problem and it is very annoying. Rendering spotify totally USELESS.

But noone seems to care in their team, so just drop the premium.

It's not totally useless for me, I use it on my phone in my car and that still works. And we have the family premium so my family would be upset lol. I'm no help in convincing them to do something by taking my money away. Just complaining and hoping someone else has a solution. 🤣

Hey @emo_wifey

Does the web player work normally when you try it at home (or a different network)? 🙂

Since you mention this is happening at work, it might be caused by corporate firewall (some Spotify traffic is held back), antivirus or Spotify-related addresses in the hosts file. You can try following the steps in this Spotify Answer.

If nothing helps, you should ask the IT-department of your workplace for help. 🙂

Let me know how it goes!

SebastySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

@Sebasty 

I have had this exact same issue in Chrome for months. I'm in a corporate environment, limited to Chrome and IE. That said, I've logged into a handful of other machines on this network with the same updates installed, and I have no problem playing music from those machines. In fact, my current workaround is to remote into a different machine on the same network and play audio from there while controlling via my main machine. 

I believe this rules out firewall or Chrome/Firefox-specific issues. I think this is a problem with the specific installation of @emo_wifey and I's browsers. I have also tried incognito mode, clearing web data, and the "sign out everywhere" option. 

I'm having the same problem at the moment and struggling to find a solution. It was working fine for about an hour and a half, then one song just stopped playing 10 seconds in and now all of them do. I've tried different albums/playlists in case it was a random fault with the one I was on, I've cleared cookies and cache and restarted my browser, but none of it has worked. Now when I click Play it skips a few songs, gets to 10 seconds, and just stops itself.

Did you find a solution for this? Thanks

I never did find a solution, just worked around it for ~6 months. What finally fixed it for me was one of the recent Web Player updates. I think about the time that the mini-player got added, my main machine stopped skipping all of the time. Wish I could tell you more, but I've no idea what was causing it.

I have the same problem with my PC. Last time when I was listening Spotify everything was running properly but now the web player skips about five songs, plays ten seconds and stops.

I just had this issue too. I was able to log out and log back in and now everything works normally. I'm not really sure what's causing this, but taking a look at the developer tools I found some info:

• Every time a song is skipped, there is a 403 status fetch request from the "web-player vendor" (it seems to be looking for an audio license maybe?)
  • When the song stops (around 10 seconds) there is another fetch request from the "web-player vendor" with a 200 status

So my theory is that if there is a change to your account type (like from non-premium to premium) there might be some state or data that was stored from before and that leads to bad/weird data being sent to the music vendor when you try to play music... but I could totally be off base too 😅

Hi people.

This problem is little same in desktop app, revinding is also slow.

I now know, that It is not just My problem.

Hi folks,

Thanks for your posts.

@Just_A_Listener, can you confirm to us that everything works normally after you've logged out and back in?

@Noguri, can you let us know if you're experiencing the issue with songs skipping on the Desktop app as well as the web player? Run us through any troubleshooting you've done so far so that we can offer more relevant advice. Lastly, clarify what you mean by that rewinding is also slow?

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Yes, It is same.

But, I have tried logged out and logged in too and problem is still here.

Also, on My android, Spotify is very slow, or slower, than before.

For example: I must wayt some seconds, when It start or stop playing, or
skipping, or revinding songs.

Sorry for My English, I am not native speaker.

Thank You.

Hi @Noguri,

Thanks for the reply. Don't worry about your English 🙂 as long as you can understand us, it's fine.

Since those are separate issues we'll try to help with both.

• Regarding the web player:
    - is this happening on the Desktop app as well?
    - What computer are you using and what we browser? And is it a work/ school computer.
    - Have you tried connecting to another WiFi network to check if it works better.
  • Regarding the phone:
    - Let us know your brand, OS version and Spotify version.
    - Try running a clean reinstall, following this guide.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank You.

Yes, I have done both actions mentioned in the guide. Also, I haven't
tried It with a different WIFI.

My computer is Dell Inspiron and has Windows 10.

My Android device is Samsung Galaxi SMA5 and It has Android 7.

I use Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome to listen Spotify from the web.

I think, that It is problem of Spotify server, or Spotify account. I can
test It on the web, but if It is same on mobile and on desktop app I
think, that It'll be same on the web aswell.

Hi again @Noguri,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

To avoid any confusion, let's keep troubleshooting the issue that this thread was made for about songs skipping/stopping after a few seconds. Next thing you can try is clearing your hosts file by following the steps in this guide.

Regarding the app being slow on your phone, we'll keep the troubleshooting in this other thread you posted about it so we don't mix up.

We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

I and others in my work office having been having this exact issue since about 2 weeks ago. Can't attest as to whether it happens on other networks or not.

Something that hasn't been mentioned by others here is that the problem does not occur when playing podcasts, only music.

Had this issue on chrome, fixed by signing in on a different browser and playing a song, when I reopened chrome, everything was working as normal.

I have the same problem on my Debian Linux box. It is an older version no longer supported, so I can't install the spotify app. I am using firefox-esr 91.11 browser, and it worked fine for a month or so.

I have rebooted computer, disabled and re-enabled DRM, made sure google widevine enabled, nothing unusual in my hosts file. 

Everything works on my phone, with the app installed.

I am at a loss. Don't like things changing, without me changing them.

skipping issue here too. Skips 5 tracks then plays 10 secs. I cannot find a way to resolve so after a good few years will be cancelling and going to apple music!

Solved it, sort of.

I installed the latest Debian (12) on my surface pro 3. Versions 10 and 11 would hang on the tablet, which is why the older version was hanging around. So far no problems with the OS.

Installed the app as instructed by the Spotify web site. Works great, too bad about the audio hardware in a surface pro. 

Suggested posts