Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why do Albums Disappear?

Solved!

Why do Albums Disappear?

i was listening to an album, for entire month, and now it's gone. It doesn't exist anymore! I've searched it, and nothing. I searched a title from the album and it came up as saved from my playlist, clicked on it, and it said unavailable. This has happened twice now. Is this going to happen to the albums I like and listen to a lot? I pay for premium! Would really like to know why this is happening!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey the artist may have taken the music off the platform for unkown reasons.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Your request would be perfectly reasonable if this was something like Netflix where you can just quickly watch all the movies that are due to expire. What were you planning on doing if Spotify gave you warning that an album is being removed? Binge listen to it on loop then totally forget about it when it's gone? The fact is advertising that songs are being removed is simply bad publicity and bad for business with little benefit to the end user. When you realise the song is missing you're either going to buy it, pirate it or ignore it, all of which don't require a pre-warning.

Marked as solution

This happens from time to time. In my experience the albums come back again after a while. Some stuff I was listening to recently vanished from both Spotify and Google Music at the same time. It's been gone for two weeks so far. 

38 Replies

Hi there,
Welcome at the Spotify Community!

Sounds like the artist removed the album, could you please share the album title and album link with us?

You can get the album link by performing an right-mouse click on it -> Copy HTTP link.

Thank you, and have a nice day!

The album was Moulin Rouge. It's not playing.

I see lots of albums from them. Which one do you mean? 

Hello: It would appear from the lookup that album has been removed for streaming on the service in all regions currently.

All music made available to the spotify service is up to the labels, artists, and/or their representatives. Please go and have a read over on this detailed post here

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Other-Partner-Devices/Music-FAQs-You-want-to-read-this-first/t...

point 5 covers about the issue with missing music/artists. Thank you!

This is happening more and more. I am getting close to cancelling my membership.

Same here...

I seem to have lost the Album Days of Speed by Paul Weller. It's been on Spotify for a long time and now is gone. When I search through Google I can see it but not in the Spotify player.

Anyone had the same issue?

I've just found the At The BBC album has disappeared too

The album edge of the earth from volumes has recently been removed and I'd like it back

I just noticed a Monster Magnet album gone. Just hope spotify does not follow the same path as other streaming providers, which make the subscription almost pointless.

What album would that be?

When these sort of things happens, it's usually by request of the artists or their record companies.

I don't think Spotify has much to do about it. 😕

osorniosSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

It was Monolithic Baby!

Yes i know. Just found it weird that only that album from them is gone. I
thought that Spotify would sign whole publishers catalogues. But it seems
like the artist, labels still have a word on what's streaming... Even
though I'd like to have the biggest choice possible advert available, i
guess that's a good thing.

My bad . I mean the albums via and no sleep from the artist volumes has disappeared

Same thing with Queen: Live at Wembley. I listened to it a few months ago, now it's nowhere to be found. Every other album by them is still in Spotify.

Last year, I was listening to David Bowie: Outside. The next day, a bunch of songs from the album were unavailable, which lasted a week or two, then they came back.

I have a hard time believing that has anything to do with artist/music industry requests...

Yeah I just noticed Wastoid by Stardeath and White Dwarves is missing as well. They have older and newer albums available, just not that one...if you Google search it, you can click a link to get to the album, but all the songs are greyed out (unavailable).

Happened to me as well. Doesn't Spotify purhase the copyright? If not, where did the $10 we pay every month go to?

Indeed! I think the same. I thought that when they buy a catalog's rights,
that would be theirs to use forever. Otherwise i wonder if they cut some
odd deals with time limits for some music rights or so? I wonder...

Indeed! I think the same. I thought that when they buy a catalog's rights,
that would be theirs to use forever. Otherwise i wonder if they cut some
odd deals with time limits for some music rights or so? I wonder...

Suggested posts