Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why does my computer crash when I open the Spotify web player?

Why does my computer crash when I open the Spotify web player?

When I try to open the Spotify web player by running open.spotify.com, my computer just turns off immediately. Web browser is Google Chrome and my computer's OS is Windows 11.
11 Replies

Hey @Sakiya!

Hmm, that seems strange. Can you describe what happens when this occurs? Do you get a blue screen? Does Windows say shutting down, or does it just go black? Does this occur with the Spotify desktop application?

If my answer was useful, don't forget to give it a 'Like!'

If my answer was the solution, don't forget to mark it as the solution!

Thanks! 😇

If you need anything else, please reply and ask,
or shoot me a Private Message!

Feel free to follow my Spotify or Community profiles! 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Spotify.

Hi! Thanks for the reply. It's not a problem with the desktop application, it only happens when I open the web player. My screen just goes black and the computer turns off after about 30 seconds.

Thanks @Sakiya

I'm not sure how to help fix this, as I don't think I've heard of a website crashing an entire computer before.

After this happens and you restart your computer, can you open the Event Viewer, and check the Windows Application and System logs for an error mentioning your browser or a crash of some sort?

kaworu_bloodpaw_0-1676656859291.pngCheck Application and System pages

kaworu_bloodpaw_1-1676656869770.png

An error looks like this

In the meantime, it may help if you clear your browser's cache and cookies.

I will provide instructions for Chrome, but most browsers follow a very similar process.

1. Make sure you're on the newest version of Chrome. Click on the hamburger menu and go to Help > About Chrome, or click on this link.

Chrome will auto-update if there is one available.

kaworu_bloodpaw_0-1675347735774.png

2. Clear your browser's cache and cookies. On the sidebar, on the same update page, click on Privacy and security, and Clear browsing data, or click this link.

Click on the advanced tab, and select Cookies, Cache, and Hosted app data with the time range set to all time.

kaworu_bloodpaw_1-1675347735779.png

3. Restart Chrome by clicking on the hamburger menu and clicking Exit.

kaworu_bloodpaw_2-1675347735780.png

Now, reopen the web player! 🙂

If my answer was useful, don't forget to give it a 'Like!'

If my answer was the solution, don't forget to mark it as the solution!

Thanks! 😇

If you need anything else, please reply and ask,
or shoot me a Private Message!

Feel free to follow my Spotify or Community profiles! 

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Spotify.

Having the same issue. Brand new high spec PC. As soon as I press login on the Spotify homepage, my screen goes blank and the computer crashes. No events in event viewer. Chrome is freshly installed! Also happens on Edge.

Hey there @Hollynrc

Thanks for reaching out about this and welcome to the Community. 

Could you let us know which troubleshooting steps you've already tried? That way we can avoid repeating any steps.

On another note, could you check if the same happens while using the desktop app?

Lastly, we suggest that you check your firewall and make sure Spotify is set as an exception.

Keep us posted.

EniModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

I have the same issue. Spotify webplayer Crashes my PC through multiple browsers, immediately. Black screen, like its killing video drivers. PC locks up. I have also never seen this in all my years, a webpage that crashes a pc through multiple browsers.. good job spotify 

same. Opera and Edge and Chrome All Crash when accessing webplayer. Windows 11, updates and drivers current

the issue happens through multiple browsers, so tweaking Chrome settings is pointless

this response is lazy as **bleep**. Check your firewall? are you kidding me?

I'm having same issue on Brave browser. I go to open.spotify.com and the screen turns off for 3 seconds, video driver is crashing. Been seeing this for a few years and nothing has changed. Spotify is the only website who does this.

Spotify chrashed my PC multiple times.

No error logs, no nothing. No bluescreen, it just starts to stutter, blackscreen, reboot. 

My PC is up to date, around 4000€ high end gaming pc.

Then I remembered that I changed something a few hours ago:

I activated hardware acceleration because another website runs better with it.

So i deactivated the browser hardware acceleration, and i got no more PC crash, caused by Spotify.

When i activate the acceleration, start any song on Spotify, my PC crashes and reboot.

Thats VERY strange.

So hardware acceleration and Spotify has a problem with each other.

Seems thats not a problem for everyone, imo thats because every PC is different.

Suggested posts