[Win7] Cannot play any song on PC only

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Operating System

Windows 7

My Question or Issue

Win7 machine that has not been modified or even turned off in weeks.  Spotify worked fine a few days ago.  Now it will not play a single song with the error "Spotify can't play this right now."   Tried many albums and playlists.  These all work fine on my Android phone which is on the same WiFi

Tried all the steps listed in this support article including full reinstall

Tried changing sound card to 24 bit and various frequencies and updating the drivers

Tried disabling hardware acceleration

Tried looking for random files in my Users/AppData/ folders

Not sure what to try next.  Wondering if there was a new version pushed that auto-updated and disabled my playback.

Very disappointed that I have to do my own troubleshooting as a premium customer.  Some of these threads are a terrible conglomeration of very, very old solutions mixed in with replies from days ago that I have to dig through.  Please link to where I request a 1 month refund.  Spending an hour or two to do my own troubleshooting when my machine hasn't been changed is not what I signed up for.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

My solution is posted here from the linked thread from @Ivan

Issue appears to be a bad software build from the Spotify team interacting specifically with the Asus Xonar DG sound card.

The Spotify self service, self diagnosis model is a super annoying approach to what is clearly a build bug.  The solution was out there a day before I posted, but I was unable to find it despite 30 minutes of searching on this forum.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Hey there @spot_iffy_2020

Thanks for reaching out to us about this - we'll be glad to help you out here.

If you're having trouble playing any track on the Spotify desktop app you might be experiencing an issue that we're currently investigating in search for a solution. We suggest you go to this Ongoing Issue and add your vote to it by clicking on the +VOTE button. Make sure you follow the steps provided under Status Update as well. 

Tip: Keep in mind the description of the Ongoing Issue refers to Windows 10, but some users have reported the same happening on Windows 7 as well.  

It'll also be useful to subscribe via the three-dots menu in the top right corner next to the title. That'll make sure you stay up to date with any relevant updates about this.

Here you can read more about Spotify’s refund policy. 

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions. 

Marked as solution

My solution is posted here from the linked thread from @Ivan

Issue appears to be a bad software build from the Spotify team interacting specifically with the Asus Xonar DG sound card.

The Spotify self service, self diagnosis model is a super annoying approach to what is clearly a build bug.  The solution was out there a day before I posted, but I was unable to find it despite 30 minutes of searching on this forum.  

Suggested posts