Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Windows 10 - Spotify stops playing when Screen turns dark

Solved!

Windows 10 - Spotify stops playing when Screen turns dark

Hi there,

I've recently got a new ultrabook with Windows 10. 

Unfortunately, Spotify stops playing immediately when the screen turns dark to safe energy - in battery mode after 3 minutes. the ultrabook is still active and spotify appears on the lockscreen and starts playing immediately when the screen turns on again. 

This is really really annoying and makes the ultrabook useless for hearing music. I can't explain myself how this has come since I had a Windows 10 laptop before without this annoying bug.

Thanks for your help in advance

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @thisprogrammsux

Is this the same for when you set the screen off mode to never? I recall seeing a while ago that if you use the webplayer through Microsoft Edge you can circumvent the issue (don't quote me on that one though!)

After a bit of digging it appear to be an issue with the Spotify API and windows 10, which again would suggest the webplayer option might work.

I've also found this idea you can add kudos too so the developers can have a look at it.

Hope ths helps!

Andy

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

IT WORKS!

screen is off and the music is on 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-3-EayO-Y

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Hey @thisprogrammsux

Thanks for coming to the community!

There's this thread on the topic that may have a couple of solution and you could always remove sleeping mode. You can do this in power settings. Add a new time to Sleep Mode to Never. Also if you use a Balanced mode in power settings, you might want to try Best performance mode.

Hope this helps!

Andy

Thank you for your reply!

I've already tried setting sleep mode to never and restarted the pc several times. it doesn't work - when the display goes dark to save energy the music stops playing just 5 seconds later. the pc is then not turned off though.

And keeping the display on all the time is not a solution as it would shred the battery...

is there anything in the registry/bios to set up?

Marked as solution

Hey @thisprogrammsux

Is this the same for when you set the screen off mode to never? I recall seeing a while ago that if you use the webplayer through Microsoft Edge you can circumvent the issue (don't quote me on that one though!)

After a bit of digging it appear to be an issue with the Spotify API and windows 10, which again would suggest the webplayer option might work.

I've also found this idea you can add kudos too so the developers can have a look at it.

Hope ths helps!

Andy

Marked as solution

IT WORKS!

screen is off and the music is on 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o-3-EayO-Y

You call this a solution? 

Unfortunately, Spotify's software team is following the steps of Microsoft; constantly changing features or not doing anything at all, for years. 

Just wanted to be sure this thread was aware of our update in this idea at the end of last year:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Prevent-Windows-from-sleeping-when-Spotify-Pre...

We’ve been exploring many ways of enabling customers to play music while the screen is off. Most of the solutions we had explored involved preventing Windows from being able to turn the screen off, which would result in a much higher degree of battery use—something that we don't want to do.

The good news is that a fix for this is in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. With this update playback on Spotify can continue while the screen is off to conserve your battery power. While you might not have this update yet, you can update Windows manually by going here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028685/windows-10-get-the-fall-creators-update. The music will, however, stop when your computer goes to sleep. You can control the sleep settings in the Power & sleep settings. 

Please know our Desktop teams take your feedback very seriously and they’re excited to help fix this issue for you all. Thanks for continuing to bring us your Spotify Ideas.

This does NOT work. I have the latest updates, including April 2018 update on win10.

Screen goes black and spotify stops.

Suggested posts