Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

can't shuffle my queue (new or existing)

can't shuffle my queue (new or existing)

I have a problem with the Shuffle function. 
Spotify 1.0.28.87 on Windows 10. 

My problem is that I have a queue that I want to shuffle, eg. I'm adding some random albums to my queue that I would like to listen to today. Then I hit the shuffle button, which turns green but does nothing. All songs are still played in order.

I also tried activating shuffle first and then adding albums to my queue, also to no avail. 

What I do notice is that the moment I hit shuffle, the tick in front of the songs (songs from my  music) changes to a plus for a split second, then back to a tick. 

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? 

38 Replies

Hey Peter,

I'm sorry, but your solution to the said issue is an absolute joke. The goal of your company should be to provide the best user experience for your user base. Basically what you are telling us is "Yes it is possible for us to do so, yet we are too stubborn so if you want this feature go do the work for yourself."

Go ask your dev team this question. If the dev has a list they would like to add multiple values to would they.

A) Design a simple function to add the values to the list (makes it so that they have far less work to do)

B) Individually add each value to the list through the console (makes it so that they have far more work to do)

Please reconsider adding this function.

Thanks,
Jorge

P.S plz bring master quality audio my hdd is full

Also, I've been on Spotify since 2015, actively since 2016 you guys have done multiple UI changes and added multiple pointless features that don't really improve the functionality of your application I.E adding music videos to song playback. Not that those aren't appreciated, however, this is clearly an old thread and still decently active for one as old as it is with YOUR customers still coming back to discuss how they would find this feature beneficial. For you just to say "nahhhh do it yourself". I'm not getting paid to use your service, why are you telling us to go take the time out of our lives to create and delete playlist depending if I want my queue shuffled. Also, Apple Music has had a play next feature for years. I'm no legal expert, but I'm pretty sure they cant Trademark that. Where is it? Like, come on it really can't be that hard to implement either of these features, you're paying your devs for a reason.

Can’t upvote this one enough. Do you guys have any ux engineers or product owners on this forum?

How do we combine multiple playlists to shuffle?

Hey there @sophiab

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

It's possible to add a playlist to the queue while you're playing another one. However, when you add it to the queue it will play in order and not shuffle. 

We'd recommend heading here to find more information about the New Desktop Experience and share your feedback in the thread. It's being constantly monitored by the teams in charge. 

We'll be here if anything else comes up. 

Cheers.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I just recently became premium to finally give Spotify a real try. I think this is the 4th time just this week I end up on the community forums while trying to figure out what I assumed would be basic functionality. Must say that I'm somewhat disappointed with how lackluster the UX has been so far.

I could've never imagined that something as basic as shuffling a queue could be missing in an application this big for over 5 years. I simply wanted to mix up a couple different artist best-of-mixes quickly, without having to manually create a playlist, add every single song/album one-by-one and later delete what was supposed to just be a temporary playlist. Edit: Apparently the functionality to quickly add mixes to a playlist is available on android but not on desktop yet.

Some no-doubt aggravating and oversimplified backseat developing, but as for shuffling the queue, wouldn't this just be a single button, api call, pop the remainder of the queue into a list, use random.shuffle, turn the list into a queue, refresh queue on FE, done?

Hi @VinkVdB,

Thank you for posting on the Community.

We totally understand where you're coming from and we appreciate your feedback, we'll make sure to pass it on to the right folks. Since the shuffle queue function doesn't exist at the moment, we suggest you take a look at this idea that suggests that feature.

Take into account that the "Closed" status doesn't mean the idea won't be implemented. If it reaches the necessary amount of votes, Spotify will consider it. 

We'll be on the lookout.

MafeGModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Deezer has that feature, YouTube music has it, Xbox music... Heck, even musicolet has it. And the supposed 'best streaming service in the world' that's even sponsoring Barça, can't add a simple feature to shuffle a queue?? It's not even gonna be a feature forced on anyone! People who want their queue to be a queue won't shuffle, and people who don't want their queue to be played in a straight line will shuffle.... Everybody wins!!!

That is dumb. So I have to create a playlist everytime I want to listen. Call it what you want, but if I to have something played in order that I will use multiple times I will create a playlist. If I want to listen to an artist on random I don't want to have to create and save a playlist. Per the definition of the words you are right, but the premise of what you want to do with a queue vs a playlist are backwards and stupid.

Absolute monster

Crazy they still didn't change this. Music players had this in the 90's. Pretty embarassing for a name as big as Spotify.

At least they have a dj! /s

Could I add a suggestion that might fix this?

Maybe add a toggleable setting that says "shuffle shuffles queue". This will allow users to choose whether or not shuffle will shuffle the queue : )

(just realized this was multiple years old 😅)

Switch to YouTube music 🎵🎶 that's what I did Spotify interface sucks,
they never got what a queue is and what a list is and how they behaves,
looks like their programers doesn't know about data structures... Is a
play-LIST! And they never got it.

Fellow programmer here. You're letting some developer or manager either downgrade this as not important because there's a workaround, you have a pedant who wants to enforce code design patterns on users because you used the word queue, you have a pet feature like party queue that likely very few people use, or there's a real technical/performance problem your not willing to own up to so that shuffle doesn't hurt your stock price by reducing your margins.

It's not good user centered design, and anyone able to do this will probably eat your lunch someday. I can back from qobuz because of available music and wanting access to some audio books that weren't in Spotify.

Between things like this, undesired ai injections into playlists, still having a relationship with Jr.; and bugs where music never stops playing I'm considering finding a new service after only a few months.

Your product leads need to reconsider what's important. Go read up on ens***indication. You're on the road to your doom.

**bleep** it's 2023 and this STILL hasn't been implemented

Think of the queue like a LIVE playlist (like WinAmp) and let us just click a Shuffle button and watch it shuffle the list to create a now shuffled queue. (like WinAmp does). 

Shuffle the queue and then it plays back in the queue order as normal, just the tracks are rearranged into a shuffled list.
This is different from Shuffle on Playback!

A playlist has apparently a maximum songs limit.

I want to make a list with all my liked songs and all my local files and want to shuffle that list.

Seems like I can add all these songs with the queue, but the playlist has apparently a song amount limit.

The final playlist doesnt have to have all the songs in. Would be fine if it picks e.g. randomly 200 of all these.

But its literally impossible to do that.

You understand my issue?

Its a bit annoying 😕

edit: OK I got a workaround:

Playback liked songs and shuffle it. Select these 81 shown items and put it into new playlist

Now playback local files, shuffle it, select these 81 shows items and add it to that new playlist.

This way I dont exceed the limits of playlist size.

Its a bit complicated way to get to this, but at least there is a way LOL

I am yet another user showing strong interest in being able to shuffle the list of songs that are currently playing without having to put them into their own little playlist first.

I know it's been 7 years since this post was made, but I hope this feature will be implemented before I hit my midlife crisis.

Anywhos, anyone else excited for this post's 10th birthday in 3 years ?

Suggested posts