Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

is the new desktop beta based of off chromium

Solved!

is the new desktop beta based of off chromium

I notice that is pretty similar on windows 8 when you zoom it exactly same. The new desktop client is html5 right?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Yes, the desktop app uses CEF, Chromium Embedded Framework, which in a nutshell "is a convenient way to implement an HTML5 based GUI in a desktop application or to provide browser capabilities to an application".

Homepage for the project: https://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/

BTW, the stable, current desktop app also uses CEF. But it seems the beta version has replaced more "native" or traditional views with web/HTML5 views, thus using CEF in more places.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I'm not too sure sure, but I know the current client and the beta client both have chromium embedded some of the views are actually web pages or something like that.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

I thought the same thing when I first used the beta, how things are rendered and processes look different then stable in the task manager.

I hope they are using Chromium more or something similar. Less work for them, Chromium supports a wide variety of hardware/OSes, it already has audio playback/networking/caching, and maybe they can upstream any improvements they've made.

opensource@spotify.com might have the answer.

Marked as solution

Yes, the desktop app uses CEF, Chromium Embedded Framework, which in a nutshell "is a convenient way to implement an HTML5 based GUI in a desktop application or to provide browser capabilities to an application".

Homepage for the project: https://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/

BTW, the stable, current desktop app also uses CEF. But it seems the beta version has replaced more "native" or traditional views with web/HTML5 views, thus using CEF in more places.

Suggested posts