is the new desktop beta based of off chromium

Solved!

is the new desktop beta based of off chromium

dbz2k
Regular

I notice that is pretty similar on windows 8 when you zoom it exactly same. The new desktop client is html5 right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution!

Re: is the new desktop beta based of off chromium

cHagHi
Gig Goer

Yes, the desktop app uses CEF, Chromium Embedded Framework, which in a nutshell "is a convenient way to implement an HTML5 based GUI in a desktop application or to provide browser capabilities to an application".

Homepage for the project: https://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/

BTW, the stable, current desktop app also uses CEF. But it seems the beta version has replaced more "native" or traditional views with web/HTML5 views, thus using CEF in more places.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted

MattSuda
Community Legend

I'm not too sure sure, but I know the current client and the beta client both have chromium embedded some of the views are actually web pages or something like that.

user-removed
Not applicable

I thought the same thing when I first used the beta, how things are rendered and processes look different then stable in the task manager.

I hope they are using Chromium more or something similar. Less work for them, Chromium supports a wide variety of hardware/OSes, it already has audio playback/networking/caching, and maybe they can upstream any improvements they've made.

opensource@spotify.com might have the answer.

Solution!

cHagHi
Gig Goer

Yes, the desktop app uses CEF, Chromium Embedded Framework, which in a nutshell "is a convenient way to implement an HTML5 based GUI in a desktop application or to provide browser capabilities to an application".

Homepage for the project: https://code.google.com/p/chromiumembedded/

BTW, the stable, current desktop app also uses CEF. But it seems the beta version has replaced more "native" or traditional views with web/HTML5 views, thus using CEF in more places.

View solution in original post

SUGGESTED POSTS