Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

"Spotify can't play this right now, if you have the file on your computer you can impot it

Solved!

"Spotify can't play this right now, if you have the file on your computer you can impot it

Plan

Free/Premium

Country

Denmark

Device

(iPhone 6s)

Operating System

(Windows 10)

My Question or Issue

Hi

I've in the past week been unable to play any song on spotify on PC, however i can play all songs on my phone...

I have tried a few things to fix it but none of the solved issues anywhere seemed to help me. 

Since i cant find one single song at all that works, I've tried to reinstall Spotify, Delete/rename "local-files.bnk" , Downgrade spotify to an older version, enable/disable "hardware acceleration", Log out of all devices and finally disabling/enabling all settings in spotify.

After all I've tried nothing seem to work, and i'm pretty lost.

Hope some of you have a solution or can help 😕

Spotify.png

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi Peter

This was happening with all Spotify content (I don't have any local files, other than Spotify cache, available for Spotify).
I did a very deep scan for files, including all normally hidden files + searching within files, for mentionings of Spotify; I then ran %TEMP% and deleted all deletable content; I then ran 

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\

and checked 'hosts' file for mentionings; I then made a fresh install of the app, from the Microsoft store.
I made sure that my Firewall had made an exemption for Spotify.
This had been working for a couple of days, but  the same problem occured again.
This time I found what I do believe to be the solution, at least for my problem.

I had recently installed an audio program for playback of higher quality audio (Foobar2000).
In the process of installing Foobar, the need for changing sound settings arose.
Here I changed standardformat to 32 bit, 384000Hz, and at the same time denied all programs exclusive control of the sound unit.
Changing standardformat has caused problems, in regards to playback in other programs when I have tinkered with such, for a period of time now (subjectively speaking, it seems to have gotten worse after the latest big Win10 update).

I still did all the "cleasing", as described above, and then set standardformat back to default settings.
Restoring format to default settings gave the app the ability to resume normal playback at once.

I apologize for the wall of text, but wanted to make sure the path for solution is somewhat clear, if others out there - like me - like to tinker with sound and changes their standard format, but also would like to use Spotify.
(Just for the sake of troubleshooting, if anyone wants to make sure that they are running the standard format; 
Right click the speaker icon in the bottom right corner -> Open Sound Setting -> under output device, press 'Device Properties' -> go to the fan 'Advanced -> press 'Restore Defaults')

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hey @Lass9555, help's here. 

We suggest that you do the following:

• Reinstall the app, but make sure to choose the Windows Store version.
  • Restart your router. Try a different network connection. 
  • Remove all your offline devices from your account page (you'll have to re-download music for offline listening again).
  • Make sure your firewall isn't blocking Spotify. Check your firewall settings.

Let us know how it goes 🙂

Just tried all the suggestions, and not just once, and it still doesn't work 😞

Hey @Nurduun.

Thanks for trying those steps.

Just to confirm, is this happening only with your Local Files, or is this also happening with the music available on Spotify?

Once we have this info, we'll be able to look into the issue further.

Thanks! We'll be looking out for your reply.

Marked as solution

Hi Peter

This was happening with all Spotify content (I don't have any local files, other than Spotify cache, available for Spotify).
I did a very deep scan for files, including all normally hidden files + searching within files, for mentionings of Spotify; I then ran %TEMP% and deleted all deletable content; I then ran 

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\

and checked 'hosts' file for mentionings; I then made a fresh install of the app, from the Microsoft store.
I made sure that my Firewall had made an exemption for Spotify.
This had been working for a couple of days, but  the same problem occured again.
This time I found what I do believe to be the solution, at least for my problem.

I had recently installed an audio program for playback of higher quality audio (Foobar2000).
In the process of installing Foobar, the need for changing sound settings arose.
Here I changed standardformat to 32 bit, 384000Hz, and at the same time denied all programs exclusive control of the sound unit.
Changing standardformat has caused problems, in regards to playback in other programs when I have tinkered with such, for a period of time now (subjectively speaking, it seems to have gotten worse after the latest big Win10 update).

I still did all the "cleasing", as described above, and then set standardformat back to default settings.
Restoring format to default settings gave the app the ability to resume normal playback at once.

I apologize for the wall of text, but wanted to make sure the path for solution is somewhat clear, if others out there - like me - like to tinker with sound and changes their standard format, but also would like to use Spotify.
(Just for the sake of troubleshooting, if anyone wants to make sure that they are running the standard format; 
Right click the speaker icon in the bottom right corner -> Open Sound Setting -> under output device, press 'Device Properties' -> go to the fan 'Advanced -> press 'Restore Defaults')

Hey @Nurduun,

Thanks for the explanation, and glad to hear you managed to figure it out and wanted to provide the info for other users to see. As is often the case with many apps, it's always good to make sure no other apps or settings interfere with Spotify (as much as we'd like to provide flexibility). If you do have an idea that others would vote for, always feel free to add it to our Idea section and other people can contribute to the discussion.  

Let us know if you have any questions, and happy listening 🙂

Suggested posts