Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

spotify says its already installed but it isnt

spotify says its already installed but it isnt

I uninstalled spotify because of this and when I go to reinstall it says its already installed, but it isnt. I've checked my appdata and apps and features, and there is no sign of spotify, yet it says it is still installed.
15 Replies

Hey there, good to see you here! This might be some issue with the multiple installation sources or instances on your device. Worry not, a clean install solves most of these issues. Make sure to head over to this article to perform a clean install.

Let me know if you need anything else. Happy to help :).

AmayySpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

The problem with this solution is the fact that I cannot clean install. There is nothing to clean install. Spotify is not on my PC. I have tried the steps in the clean install tutorial, I have checked my folders and files looking for any remains of Spotify, but there is nothing there. I used programs and features (I believe that is what it's called) to uninstall Spotify the first time, and now nothing is left, yet the .exe installer insists there is. Maybe I'm missing a place to look?

Hey there, thank you for replying back. May I ask which version you had installed previously and which one are you trying to install this time? Is the file from Spotify.com or App Microsoft Store?

AmayySpotify Star

Spotify.com; I am trying to install the one from Spotify.com.

Can you try using the Microsoft Store and see what error it shows?

AmayySpotify Star

This worked for me. You can successfully install it from the Microsoft Store once it throws the error mentioned.

Same problem. No traces of Spotify, but it say is already installed.

Microsoft Store is not an option. I am here because Microsoft Store tryed to upgrade previous version of Spotify and failed to download. It fail to download over and over again.

So I need to download from spotify.com. But this version say is already installed. I will like an advice for something that actually work, if you just copy-paste from somewhere, well, I already looked for a solution and didnt find one.

Hey @Mousaios ,

Thanks for the reply.

Let's try removing the folders associated with the Spotify installation as described here. Did this bring any change? This is the so called clean reinstall.

Cheers!

DianModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I am having the same problem, and the clean install does not seem to be a viable solution. The "clean" portion is long over. A search of my whole system reveals zero spotify files. Still, when I try to install the latest version, it indicates: "Spotify is already installed. Would you like to open it?"

Clicking "yes" and clicking "no" both do nothing. The Microsoft store repeatedly indicates "Error" and does not elaborate.

Hi there @Biuuuwulf 

Thanks for the info. Can you please try the following:

• Send us some screenshots of the errors you get from the Store
  • Do you get anything when looking for Spotify in the Start Menu?
  • If you open a link to a song, does this redirect to the app? See if you get the prompt, that can help locate the installation

Keep us posted.

JoanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I was having the same issue (I use the spotify.com version of the app, not the Microsoft store one). Spotify wouldn't show up in the Control Panel, I had already deleted all of the %Appdata% Local and Roaming Files, but still ran into the "Spotify is already Installed, would you like to open it?" popup message. Even when I clicked yes, the program would not open and restarting my PC did not help at all.

To fix this issue, I had to open Windows in Safe Mode as shown in this blog, open Registry Editor, then go to this location in the program: 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Families\SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_zpdnekdrzrea0

Once at that location, I got an error message saying the following:a.PNG

To solve this issue, you will have to change the permissions of the "SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_zpdnekdrzea0" folder. I used this video to properly change my permissions without risking any damage to my PC, then went back to delete the "SpotifyAB.SpotifyMusic_zpdnekdrzea0" folder. Afterwards, I downloaded SpotifySetup.exe from spotify.com, and was able to properly reinstall the application.

I hope this method is able to help other people, because even in my hours of searching the Microsoft and Spotify forums, I wasn't able to find any solutions until digging on my own.

This solved it, thank you very much.

@qrqrtt Good to know that it got resolved for you! Could you share what worked for you?? Thanks in advance 🙂

if you cant do that (like me) you can just download Spotify for one of the older version's of windows (8.1 works best)  

Even after almost a year this issue is mentioned, a download of a new spotify version app still doesn't solve this automatically.

I needed to delete the register key manually.

(using the version of the spotify site)

Suggested posts