free

Country

UK

Device

PC

Operating System

Win 10

My Question or Issue

Hello, I'm experiencing playback issues since last week.

When listening to any song I get constant cracking and popping sounds. It happens when listening just on Spotify! All of my windows playback devices are affected, and it always happens, the desktop app being affected as well as the web player. On Android or on a different computer however, everything seems to work fine. I have never experienced similar issues with any other program.

Sounds similar like an old vinyl player or when the cable is broken in your hedaphones. Tried with Soundbar, headphones, bluetooth headphones and no difference. No problem under adv... YouTube, Games, Films, my own music not affected and this is not hardware issue.

Some information about my setup:

• Spotify Premium
  • Windows 10
  • Motherboard Name : MSI Z170A Gaming M5 (MS-7977) built in audio

Things I already tried:

• Reinstalling the newest version of Spotify (This actually made things worse. Before reinstalling, I was able to "fix" the issues by resparting the desktop app, now the noises are always present)
  • Clearing the cache
  • Turning "Set the same volume level for all songs" off/on
  • Logging out of all other devices that are connected to my account

Any ideas or experiences with similar issues are appreciated.

10 Replies

Recently I just got cracking / distorted sounds playing Spotify on my Mac Ventura 13.4.1c. The weird part is when i play YouTube or any other application that plays audio it works fine. 

I have reinstalled it, cleared the cache, and changed audio settings (ex. download quality, ), and I have tried changing the equalizer, and nothing is working. I have tried searching for answers, but nothing is working. I have no idea how to report a bug or fix the problem. RIght now i use my phone to work around the audio bug on my mac. I have trried the webplayer too and it has the same problem on my mac it is very distorted and sounds like those dank memes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgbBLBWCOSs&ab_channel=soundeffectVNSFX ) for context. Not joking it 100% sound just like this video except louder

Hey @zombie911killer,

Thanks for reaching out on the Community!

Can you check if there's any updates available for your Mac's OS? 

If the issue persists, could you let us know if you're using headphones or any Bluetooth speakers while using Spotify on your computer?

Keep us posted on how it goes.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

It's the version of Spotify versionn 10.12 works but anything after makes a
distorted sound

I found out that versions 10.14 & 10.13 of Spotify are causing those sound problems on my Mac, any version before that ex 10.12 works perfectly. I Have no idea how an update causes this. I just reinstalled version 10.12 of Spotify 

Hey @zombie911killer,

Does this happen with all tracks? If not, can you please send us links to the affected ones?

Cheers,

MihailYModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Yes it happens to all tracks all podcast anything with audio on spotify.

i wish I could send a video. Am I the only one having this problem on mac? The only good part is that v10.12 works perfectly with no problem but anything after it makes distorted sounds like cracking and popping. 

This is also happening on my Mac and it's driving me crazy! It sounds terrible and it's like every 5 minutes 

Use update 10.12 some weird reason the old update doesn't glitch the sound
out in fact try all updates

Hey!

I have honestly not encountered this issue and on Ubuntu it sounds wonderful. Enabled normalize volume makes the sound much worse though, so I can tell that.

Helpful hings that come to mind: using Spotify Connect to briefly route playback to phone and back. Or start playback on phone and then route it to the desktop Spotify.
Making sure Spotify is not having any issues through performing a clean reinstall.
Just in case check if you don't have unnecessary apps connected to your Spotify account.

You can also try creating another account and see if that is also affected by the bad audio.

SebastySpotify Star
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts