Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Login Fails But Continues To Playlist

Solved!

Login Fails But Continues To Playlist

Description

Fresh installation; attempting to login (with correct information) causes "Login Failed" to be displayed and then the account's playlist and songs are shown (as if login worked). Then intermittently it returns to Login screen for a few seconds, and then back to the playlist page (or another Now Playing, Discover, My Music, etc. page). On 3G/4G or Wifi it constantly tries to download playlists, stopping only a few songs in and then restarts the download. Music won't play longer than a few seconds due to being kicked back to the Login screen or because the Downloads restarting have paused playback. Attempting to Sync with Windows Desktop Spotify also only connect intermittently (Syncs for three seconds or so before disappearing from Sync list, then reappears and restarts sync).

This makes it impossible to do anything functionally within the app. I have cleared the cache within the app and in the phone's App manager, uninstalled Spotify, restarted my phone, re-installed. I've tried alternative accounts, without Wifi, without Desktop Spotify on (to avoid conflicts), and no situation resolves the issue. It started only after the latest redesign's update this week.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

(We need to know what you are doing so we can do the exact same to try and get the same error)

1. Open Spotify

2. Login

What I expected to happen

For Login to work and then playlists to play normally.

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?

Yes.

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes

Your device

Galaxy Note 3

Device’s Operating System

What type of account do you have?

Premium

(FYI for the below points: Android devices tend to refer to the internal memory as "SD Card" and the SD card you inserted yourself as "External SD Card")

Space left on your device

21.85GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

10.9GB

Is your device rooted?

No

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

No

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

My mobile provider and country

Verizon

My username

Aerodynuclearphyschanics

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

Yes

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Spotify

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Today , i try a new option. I installed an old version apk with this site https://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Android/REQUEST-Previous-version-of-the-client-APK/td-p/79997?...

It's working... I hope for a long time. 

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Just got this e-mail from the Spotify support team:

"Hey, 

Thanks for your patience.

We have updated the Android app to a completely new app, which should work much better for you, please follow those instructions on screen when updating, making sure you delete the old app.

And, unfortunately, offline playlists may have to be re-downloaded in the new version

Please let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards, 

Tristan 

Spotify Senior Service Advisor"

So, I tried to download the new app in the app store, and guess what? IT WORKED!!

The app is called "Spotify Music", not the one that's called just "Spotify".
It will like he said in the e-mail most likely delete all your downloaded playslists. That's what happened to me. But I figure it is a small price to pay. 

So, now I am resubscribing to Spotify (after cancelling my subscription), and I hope we won't have any difficulties like this in the future. 

View solution in original post

33 Replies

Could you try removing your SD card, then reinstalling Spotify and see if the issue goes away? (you can insert the SD card again after you install and launch Spotify again).

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Didn't work. Leaving the SD card removed for the duration; I deleted the cache, deleted Spotify, Restarted the phone and then reinstalled Spotify. Same issue at first login attempt.

After searching the web all day long, I have finally found someone with the same problem as me. This happened to me yesterday. When I woke up this morning, it was all fixed somehow. But after lunchtimes, it started again. Login menu --> Playlist --> Login menu ---> Playlist.

After some time, the cycle with the login menu and the playlist stops, but I can see all my playlists refreshing every 5-10 seconds. This also happens during playback. Can only hear about 5-10 seconds of a song before it stops. 

Also, all my downloaded offline playlists are somehow not downloaded anymore. 

The problem occours with both EDGE/3G/4G- or Wifi-connection. 

The app is useless for the moment. Seriously considering some other music plattform than spotiy. Everything has worked suberb with spotify for years, until the newest update. 

Another problem that occured after the last update, is that if I turn the screen off in less than 3 seconds after I start a track, the playback stops. This has sometimes also happended while adjusting the volume with the screen off. 

If anyone has any possible solution, then please help. 

Edit: My device is a Samsung Galaxy S5, android version 4.4.2, spotify version 1.0.0.82

I am also having the same issue on the same set up as you (samsung s5). Are you on the Sprint network?

I am from Norway, so no. I use Telenor. i don't think it has anything to do with the network provider though,because it happens on any network I've tried, as well in offline mode. 

Just tried top run my Spotify account on my previous device, a Samsung Galaxy S3. 

Everything was as it should be, running nice and smooth. Then, Google Play automatically updated to the newest version of Spotify. 

Now the same problem that is described in the earlier posts in this tread occured. Exactly the same issues. 

Seriously Spotify? Are you going to fix this update? Nothing but trouble. 

I've already pulled my subscription to Spotify. They are not getting a nickel more out of me, until they have a working app. 

Just found another report of this, I'm escalating it to the Spotify guys to see if they have any ideas.

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

I hthe the exact same issue here on my Nexus 5 mobile phone. the app is totally unusable

Hey guys, thanks for letting us know about this issue. We're sorry to hear you're having trouble getting logged in and using the app.

We're looking into what might be happening here, so you can get back to enjoying your music again asap.

In the meantime, could you try changing your passwords for us? If something's going wrong at the login stage, that might kick things into action.

If not, just let us know and we'll try something else. And for anyone else with this issue - please keep your reports coming! The more info we've got to to go on, the better.

Many thanks.
Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

Thanks for replying to us. Adds a small shimmer of light in the end of the tunnel.

I have already changed the password for my account twice, as well as the e-mail connected to my account. Still, no improvement.

I am having the same problem.... Please fix this, Spotify has been unusable for days!!!!! (At least it looks prettier)

Same issue here! Galaxy S3. It seems like it just can't hold connection or something maybe?

Same issue here since the new app. Both on Fonepad (Android 4.2) and Xperia Z1 (4.4). Can I somehove revert to the old app. That one worked flawlessly...

I changed my password too but no success. Login does work after buggy login if you do the following steps:
1. Login with credentials
2. Get login failed message
3. If you now See the Browser view change to settings
4. Logout and login again
5. Now login seems right but no music playing possible ( at least 10 sechs)

This is no solution but maybe it helps to debug

I have been dealing with the same exact issue for the past week. I have the Galaxy 4 on the Sprint network. The issue happened right after the update. I am sadly about to cancel my subscription because of this. Haven't been able to use it at all.

Having the exact same issue as described by the op.

Nothing to do with the network imho, i'm in France  using wifi or local provider.. 

My account works fine on my husband's phone, but can't have his account working into my phone.

Seems somehow linked to the phone, not the account 😉

(Both nexus 4 running latest android version)

Here is what i've tried so far :

For the app

1. -Uninstall / Reinstall Spotify
  2. -Clear cache / data

For the account 

1. -Changed password
  2. -Tried another account into my phone (same issue)
  3. -Tried my account into another phone (Worked into my husband's nexus 4, but failed on another HTC (older android version))

For the phone 

1. -Factory reset

So far nothing has changed the situation... Looking forward for a solution here 😞

Same issue here.  Nexus 5.  Generally plays up to 8 seconds of music then stops.  App has been totally unusable on my phone since the update.  Tried reinstalling everything and manually deleting the data folders.

This has been going on for last 3 weeks since new update and not a word about the problem from Spotify. I have e mailed their tech people twice in 3 weeks and no response.... this is really disappointment especially for a service you pay for.

I think I figured it out. What fixed it for me was setting a specific app password for Spotify on the Facebook security page. Then on your mobile device, logout of Spotify and Facebook. Login to Spotify again via Facebook but use the new app password you just set. Spotify works again!

Suggested posts