Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Remove from startup

Solved!

Remove from startup

Spotify automatically starts up when I turn my computer on. How do I stop that? I am using windows 7 os.

169 Replies

Hi there,

My laptop runs Mac OSX and there is no "Preferences" option at the bottom of the Spotify Edit menu.  Unfortunately, Spotify launches every time I turn on my computer.  How can I get Spotify to NOT launch when I startup with Mac OSX?

Thanks!

PleaseStop - On a Mac, it will appear under 'Spotify'. Have you had a look here?
-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Worked for me too!! Thanks much!!!  (on my desktop running  windows vista.. i dont have that problem with any of my other devices, iphone or ipad.  must not have installed it on my laptop ..hmmm.. i usually catch that 'launch at startup ' option during install and uncheck it , but I dont know if I even saw the option with this program. If I launched everything at startup that wanted to launch, i would still be waiting for my system to load..lol.   

thanks again.

I also am about to remove spotify because it autostarts every time I log in or start my computer.  I work in an office and I don't want "fun" apps opening on my computer first thing in the day - I want to get to my email quickly and not have my boss think I spent the morning goofing off.  Please fix this.  I have also selected "don't open automatically" in preferences, but it still does.

Fantastically annoying! After following all the tips above, I managed to finally get rid of startup for two weeks. Then it started again. I wonder if anyone on Spotify staff is reading forum posts, or if they just ignore the problem. With XP I never had a problem, but with Windows 7 it started. Thinking about quitting with the Premium version and/or Spotify altogether.

Simple GREAT advice!!!  Problem solved on my XP Professional 32 bit OS.  Many thanks to you for posting the solution.

Worked fine. Thanxs!

I used microsoft's sysinternals "autoruns" and removed it from the startup part of the registry. That way was the safest and easiest for me.

link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

P.S.  CLick on the "Everything" tab and look for "spotify" click and delete both of them. Reboot your win7 system and they won't come back. So far I start spotify if I want to. 

this is a pain right in the ass... I HATE programs that dont offer the option startup option... even when disabled in msconfig this starts... I'll take it right off my machine...

there is NO option... you guys hide way too much...

@willclark218 wrote:

there is NO option... you guys hide way too much...

Have you tried both of the options in this tutorial as well as the link above?

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Spotify has begun spontaneously opening on startup on my Mac. I find no control for this in the Spotify preferences. Anyone know how to stop it, short of removing Spotify from the computer?

I suppose the tutorial solves the problem on Windows, but worthless on a Mac. Is there a Mac opt-out, short of removing Spotify?

@bnprcm wrote:

I suppose the tutorial solves the problem on Windows, but worthless on a Mac. Is there a Mac opt-out, short of removing Spotify?

Try looking for Spotify (and SpotifyWebHelper) in the locations outlined in this guide 😉

Peter

Peter

Nice try...thanks for the effort. Not a help, however, as Spotify was not checked to open automatically. That means Spotify's problem lies elsewhere. 

BTW, "Users and Groups" is now "Accounts"...still under Preferences and still yielding the same Password/Login items window.

That's strange, Spotify still opens automatically even if its not on that list (or after you press "-" to remove it")? 

And it is also set to "Do not start automatically" in the Spotify > Preferences menu (its near the bottom)?

I'll keep looking for you!

Peter

Peter

Received two quick responses to my issue with Spotify automatically opening on startup on my Mac. One directed me to a check-box which, alas, wasn't the problem. The other told me to change my settings under Subscriptions and Bookmarks in My Profile (which actually is My Settings)...but those settings do not appear to have anything to do with opening on startup.

Appreciate the effort, but no joy. Any other ideas, short of removing Spotify?

You could try a clean reinstallation of the client, see if that helps.

Peter

Peter

Mea culpa. Peter was right, it IS in Spotify > Preferences, at the bottom. When I opened Preferences, it appeared I was seeing all the options, so I didn't attempt to scroll down below the visible options. When I did, it was right where he said it should be, and the automatic-open circle had been ticked. 

It is now un-ticked.

@bnprcm wrote:

Received two quick responses to my issue with Spotify automatically opening on startup on my Mac. One directed me to a check-box which, alas, wasn't the problem. The other told me to change my settings under Subscriptions and Bookmarks in My Profile (which actually is My Settings)...but those settings do not appear to have anything to do with opening on startup.

Appreciate the effort, but no joy. Any other ideas, short of removing Spotify?

Do you have any third party programs that could be opening Spotify on startup?

Suggested posts