Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Parental Controls

I love this service. My wife and I are both premium subscribers. I really hate being tied down to an archaic service like iTunes, but for my kids, I really have no choice. I would happily pay for more premium subscriptions for my kids to have their own Spotify accounts if there was a way I could make sure explicit songs are blocked. I dont care if this is a free feature, I am happy to pay for it. Until it exists or my kids get a lot older, its money you are leaving on the table Spotify. I have to think I am not the only parent who would be happy to pay for this. Seems easy enough to implement, so why not make it another reason to go premium?

Updated on 2020-09-14

Hey there folks,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your votes and comments to this idea.

We're happy to announce that this should be now implemented.  For more info, take a look here.

Keep in mind that you can always share a new idea if there's any specific feature you're missing.

Thanks, and happy listening!

Comments
samgeorge3

I would like to use Spotify premium in my coffee shop, however due to the lack of controls over explicit content I will have to use Pandora instead.  Which is a shame, I like Spotify so much better.  Once again, their lack of providing this option is costing them business.

meahtenoha

Hi @supercosmic I believe this idea is pretty similar to the "Explicit Only/ Edited Only option" idea. Or were you looking for a change that was password protected? 

mactabby

Pretty trivial to have a setting in your account profile which turns on a filter for songs and album artwork marked explicit.

Got given a short Spotify Premium subscription for my Birthday, but the lack of parental controls means I won't be renewing, sorry! 

sarasydney

Kudos!  I just went in to see if I could add parental controls and found these comments.  Spotify, please add parental controls to your service...my daughter is going on 10 and is better at finding and favoriting songs than I am.  She has accidentally done this with explicit songs unknowingly...I have to go in and look every day to make sure she's not listening to anything she shouldn't.  Please, please add.

sandman2k

Please add the parental controls.  I am not using it for the living room because of this.  Use it only at work.  Ridiculous that you cannot do this with a premium subscription.

cholec-us

I love Spotify, but may leave over this.  My kids love music and love the versatility of Spotify, but I can't let them have accounts until I know they aren't going to be barraged by the huge amount of swearing and non-kid appropriate music that is available on Spotify.  I'm far from a prude, but I am a responsible parent.  Please give me a responsible service...

Silas

I would love to provide access to my daughter but not without some controls in place. Kudos for the idea.

rungord

Even in the kids playlist subsection I find songs with an "explicit lyrics" tag.  Seriously.  This is the ONE thing I dislike about Spotify so far.  This feels like a really really obvious option that I'm surprised to hear doesn't already exist.

sarahodell1

I totally agree with this! It would also be fantstic if ads played during kid music weren't so profane/scary/awful. There are kid friendly ads, and my biggest complaint with Spotify is the lack of ad screening....

ed-k
Spotify also needs to get non-explicit versions of the songs, just like iTunes has. My kids love some of these songs but there's no way I'll play the explicit version.