Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Retina MacBook Pro

Any news on an update to support the super-higher resolutiions for the Retina MacBook Pro? Everything is currently pixel doubled and looks awful in the new resolution, would be great to see an update? Smiley Happy

Updated: 2015-12-10

Hey folks, we're happy to confirm we now have Retina MacBook Pro support in the Desktop app. Thank you for your continued feedback here in the Idea Exchange, we're listening.

Comments
trisweb

You can get retina text at least... though images, icons, cover art will be lower res (non-retina) but still look pretty good.

WARNING: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I DO NOT CONDONE OR TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS OR WHAT IT DOES TO SPOTIFY OR YOUR COMPUTER.

Also, any (non-retina-enabled) Spotify updates WILL undo this and you'll have to do it over again.

0. QUIT Spotify

1. Go to /Applications

2. RIGHT click (or Ctrl-click) the Spotify application.

3. Choose "Show Package Contents"

4. Go to "Contents"

5. Open "Info.plist" in a text editor (like TextEdit)

6. Go to the very bottom of the file.

7. Right BEFORE the last 2 lines (tags) (</dict></plist>) , insert the following:

<key>NSHighResolutionCapable</key>
<true/>

8. Save 

9. Re-open Spotify (you may have to log in again)

10. Bask in retina text.

WARNING: DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. THIS DOES NOT MEAN SPOTIFY IS RETINA-READY, IT IS ONLY EXPERIMENTAL AND A TEST. AGAIN, I DO NOT CONDONE OR TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS EXPERIMENT OR WHAT IT DOES TO SPOTIFY OR YOUR COMPUTER.

Good luck 🙂

Rocio
Status changed to: Implemented

Hello folks, first at all, sorry for the delay on updating this idea. Sometimes it takes time to prioritize since we have a lot of ideas coming in every day.

I´ve just marked this as "Not right now", which does not mean we are not going to implement it (it is actually in our list), however we are focusing at the moment in other features which need to be tweaked first. We might come back to this soon, but we prefer add it a status, since we want you all to be informed.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, I will keep you posted!

luisramos

I totally support this idea. Also, an AirPlay support would also be nice...

This is a must do – the fact that it isn't a priority really disappoints me.

swrobel

And this is why I won't pay for spotify ... you've had almost 4 months to do this and still nothing!

wavesounds666

+1 for support of this, Its really blurry and annoying on a macbook retina, I realize were a small group of users having this problem but for this small group its a very annoying problem.  In fact a change to retina would probably spur me to upgrade to premium.  

JanuschM

Retina ist not an Idea or a Feauture....   i see it as an BUG when you dont support Retina..... all Apps for free are retina Raedy ..... for Spotify i pay 10 Euro in the Month .... so when Retina Update is ready ??????? i´m really angry 

The same for Mountain Lion Notfications .... 

generalnick

Hello Spotify, Its oktober now and retina is already almost 5 months out! Still no upgrade but why? Is it that dificult for you guys to support higher resolutions? think this way, if you go support it you will be ready for in the future if other devices comes out with higer resolution. 

prototype1010

As a paying customer of Spotify, I am really disappointed to see this issue being sidelined like this. Non-retina apps on the retina macbook pro look truly terrible...

duckydan

This is sad. So many apps support retina. It's really easy. If you did the graphics in a vector app (like you should have) then you just need to make new elements and twice the width and height and add the right code (e.g. add " @2x " to the suffix of the png files). Change the code that downloads, stores and displays the albums and your done.

Don't make it sound like rocket science. Your excuses sound like typical middle management BS where you squash features and point to that as a company cost-savings. I've been in I/T and development for 23 years.

Companies like this and Adobe make mountains out of molehills. By the time you modify your Gantt charts and fill out the paperwork, the retina stuff could be done by your developers.

Hey everyone, I encourage you to try out this nifty tool called Retnizer. It can help some non-retina apps look better than before. It will not completely fix spotify's blurriness but will help with some of the font rendering. Check it out!

http://retinizer.mikelpr.com