Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS][Other] Add an app widget for iOS 14

Update 10/14: Spotify just implemented widgets in their latest version! Thanks to developers and to the community for your upvotes 🙂
Now Spotify if you see this, please add time-synced lyrics functionality worldwide!

Make a good looking widget with for example recently played titles, media controls or most listened to playlists, that would be nice for the iOS 14 release

Example here with Apple Music widgets:

This second image is from Max McKinney on YouTube, you can check his concept video for ideas:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsEPEfEnXHk

Updated on 2020-10-15

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the support and feedback you've given to this idea!

The Spotify widget should be now available on iOS devices running iOS 14.0

Cheers!

Comments
Cobymak
sicahjes

The app forced me to do multiple updates before the widget was available. 

the widget is very underwhelming.  Only recently played, no widget for daily mixes, playlist, podcasts etc. also no media controls. 

Katerina
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2020-10-15

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the support and feedback you've given to this idea!

The Spotify widget should be now available on iOS devices running iOS 14.0

Cheers!

jnet

Thanks Katarina. Can you give us any info as to how the widget will evolve?

Hate to be a negative Nancy but the widget is pretty underwhelming as it is.  This isn't the end, right?

florianinnocent

Hate to be negative too but the way the iOS app evolves is generally under underwhelming (and dont get me started with watchOS…).

I can understand for exemple that shortcuts are for power users, but you could do great things with Spotify to do some repetitive actions faster and it seems that there will be no support at all 

It's almost a miracle to see widgets coming so quick, even though it's pretty basic.

AlphaMFZulu

This is a pretty poor implementation of a widget. The lock screen "widget" has more functionality than the widget once the phone is unlocked. Why can't we get an widget that gives us the ability to pause/play, forward, or backward in tracks like on the lock screen?

mrkristiansson

So the iOS widget has been implemented but I (like everyone else here) would like to vote on adding media controls to it, at least a playbutton. How do I proceed to vote for this? Or turn it into an official idea proposal? It seems like the vote functionality has been disabled in this thread since the widget has been implemented.

florianinnocent

Widgets in iOS 14 are not intended to offer controls or buttons like what you have on the lock screen. They only display informations (and iOS rules when) and serve as sort of shortcuts their apps.

Apple Music's widget doesn't offer more than Spotify's one. In that particular case, it's not Spotify's fault, that's the way Apple's widgets are conceived.

« Widgets display relevant, glanceable content, letting users quickly get to your app for more details. Your app can provide multiple kinds of widgets, letting users focus on the information that’s most important to them. »

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/widgetkit/creating-a-widget-extension

josephd60

Thank you Spotify for the app widget,iOS 14!

ParentalControl

Thank you this feature is awesome.