Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Changelog after each Update (In-App)

With each new update, no matter what gets added or taken away, there is a curious lack of accountability from the actual staff, and the (paying) userbase are left confused.

Why can we not drag from iTunes into our playlists anymore? Why can we not order our playlist columns as we see fit?

So a detailed, easily accessible, log after each update would sort this. In this log should be a list of all the changes made with each update, and with the reasons why the changes were made. This is most important.

We pay for this service. Why should we be left utterly confused with each update? We're left to scurry over to this forum, where your lackeys (who actually aren't on the development team) have no choice but to say 'I don't know' to each question, and with each request to implement back a feature in the Ideas section, the only response is 'This is not a priority'.

What's wrong with some honesty, eh?

Updated on 2018-10-03

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange with your feedback.

We're keeping this status as 'Not Right Now' for the time being.

Right now, we don't have plans to implement a detailed change log with both changes and reasoning behind it for every app update. For news about updates we've made, please keep an eye here on the Idea Exchange as well as on our News Blog

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts, and we'll check back in here if we have any other info.

Thanks.

Comments
ParentalControl

The recent iOS 14.8 and iOS 15 battery drain issue is yet another reason why we need Change- log details 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/iOS-High-battery-drain-with-Spotify-on-iPhones-with-...

CharlieS1103

A majority of legitimate apps support a well-maintained changelog, seems odd that Spotify doesn't?

Dishy

I know there have been 2 previous mentions of a changelist for the app, but these have been closed due to no good reason for implementation, I have a good reason for implementation.

I, like many others, have the issue where downloaded songs get moved from External storage to internal storage. For most this is a minor nuisance, but I've managed to encounter a difficult situation.

When I download my main playlist it takes aprox. 6 gigabytes of space. This is perfectly fine on my External storage, but I don't have that much space free on my internal storage.

Again, this usually isn't too bad, just quite annoying. But lord bless Samsung, when my internal storage fills up nearly completely, my phone practically bricks itself. So I have to be sure this whole moving songs to internal storage problem is resolved before I click download again.

And this is the point where the changelist comes in. See, I know that the app has been updated very recently, and I know that the fix COULD be in this update, but I have absolutely no way of knowing for sure, and I'd like to have a non-bricked phone.

So I suggest a mayor changelist. Not every change has to be in it, nor should they be. But with significant bugs or changes, I feel like these should be logged and shared with everyone so people like me know when they can safely download their monstrous playlists again 

midoriha_senpai

How about now? Can we get this feature implemented now? Easy project for an intern. To make it super easy, just have an option in your Help menu that says "Release Notes", which opens a text file that you package with your updates. You can have three sections in it with an overview on new features, bugs fixes, and other changes.

midoriha_senpai

bump

simply_live

It is not needed to implement a "detailed change log with both changes and reasoning behind it for every app update". But it would be really nice to know what has changed in an app update. Example: "Fixed bug in playlists rendering playlists unsortable". It would also be nice to distinguish the different changes (see https://keepachangelog.com/en/1.1.0/#how).

bart1981

All those updates on my iPhone but I do not know what is changed... Why? 

Juggern4ut

How can Spotify keep ignoring this? It's super easy to implement and a lot of people are asking for it. It is also just a bad practice to keep your users out of the loop. This Idea is several years old and Spotify doesn't even give any reasoning behind this. Probably because they don't know themselfes.

Marsmeansmurder

It would be nice to provide details in software updates to help find controls that have moved for commonly accessed sections like listening history and what’s new. 

godemperorlb

This is 100% being ignored by direction of higher ups, marketing, sales etc. The intent is to take away user choice in updating and getting (and frequently losing) features. For example, if users knew ahead of time that an update was going to force feed them podcasts they don't care about on their home page, many wouldn't update. Doesn't matter if user experience suffers of course, faking diversification of content mediums and getting great podcast numbers (by shoving podcasts in your face) looks good to shareholders. 

The actual developers would be happy to implement change-logs.